Personally I do not understand why people do similations of circuits that you can solder together in five to ten minutes

We buy really nice RG174 SMB cable assemblies from Lighthorse. In modest quantities, a 3-foot SMB-BNC cable is about $10.50.

Ebay typically has goodie-boxes of SMB, SMA, MCX, all sorts of connectors and cables and hardlines. I think lots of microwave people design boxes full of custom hardlines, change some dimension or something, and have to throw all the cables away. Suits me!

I don't like MMCXs as much because the retention force varies from big to huge. Hurts me tender little fingers. MCXs on the other hand are a little loose. SMB is about right.

I seed my breadboards with hardlines and SMBs.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/BreadBoards.jpg

It's great for plugging in sampling scopes, stuff that's too fast for a scope probe.

John

able

often

g, or

ypically

that

ht

n old

The real problem with ebay is does the clown know the connector. SMA, SMB, er aren't they the same. You would think the photographs would save your arse. Think again. I bought a wilkenson splitter that had TNCs in the photo and it matched the model number. They sent one with BNC. Couldn't get any reply from the seller. It is easy enough for a volume seller to take a bad feedback once in a while because their overall percentage will still be high.

Reply to
miso

with power.

*I* haven't used it for more than 50VDC or so, and I don't think I've put more than low level signals and small "switcher" tests through it. Pick the proper tool for the job and all...

I surely have a pile of it.

Reply to
WangoTango

often

(typically

A few percent of the time, I get something weird when I think I'm buying SMAs or some such. But the stuff is so cheap, it's worth the risk. It's great to have a couple of boxes stuffed with miscellaneous coax and semi-hards and hardlines, with sundry connectors.

John

Well, you could wrap the little beasties in aluminum foil with something absorbent - clay cat litter comes to mind- and bury 'em in the coals next time you make a fire.

That will humiliate most potting compounds.

Reply to
whit3rd

Thanks, much to learn :)

Good for now, I still prefer soldering, over getting too far into a simulated world.

What I want eventually is a way to record energy transferred in a data logger product on top of the energy controller, so this helps me visualise the problem and maybe get some ideas for a solution there.

Gotta be simple, 'cos I'm using 8bit PICs at the moment, idea is to record something that can be number crunched at view time on a PC, so the data logger can record number of pulses or sample I and V at regular intervals, whatever is easy and accurate enough.

Since it has to sample V at intervals, it depends whether the controller stays in discontinuous switchmode all the time, or goes continuous at higher power, that I'm not sure of yet. I imagine it will, which means I need to do both counting and sampling.

Almost time to fire up a prototype and take some real measurements.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Interesting, last time I tried heat it was too abrupt, broke the ferrite, your method loses the former, but we can't have every thing for free ;)

I don't make fires here, I think we can have outside fires of garden material only on Tuesdays and Saturdays not in Summer, yet the place stinks of slow-burning wood heaters in Winter. Definitely an outside cooking task though, maybe a temp controlled old toaster oven, with slower temp rise control than what comes standard.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Watch out trying to use any hard setting compounds. They shear SMD parts and they cause magnetostriction on cores of chokes and transformers. Yes, it matters in some cases.

Reply to
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra

can solder together in five to ten minutes

Maybe it is due to a lack of education.

Reply to
John KD5YI

I should be jailed for putting the biohazard that your corpse will make into the ground.

Reply to
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra

ailable

on

can often

ting, or

(typically

ng that

might

hat

lain old

I like to get those Pomona cables with the stress relief at Excess when they show up. [I assume some company has gone under and cleaned out the lab] I've got some that are BNC to WTF. Cheap enough that I got them just to have them. And if I find something with a WTF connector, I'm ready.

Reply to
miso

available

often

testing, or

(typically

that

old

Reversed threaded WTF connectors are handy, too.

John

Hey, I've got a pair of what I thought were push-on N connector to SMA adapters -- purchased from Mr. Tinaja Quest himself -- that turned our to be "push-on something sort-of-but-not-exactly-identical-to-an N connector to SMA adapters." Don had said he didn't k now exactly what they were either, so no hard feelings there.

I should probalby just toss the things out, I suppose... can't imagine I'll ever run into the slightly-non-standard N connector they need...

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

WTF is a WTF connector?

John

Reply to
John KD5YI

Another threat that will bear witness to your warped and dangerous personality.

Reply to
John KD5YI

I got a bunch of ebay push-on-SMA cables that don't.

John

Yes.

John

That's all you got?