Patent Question

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:54:47 -0700, mpm wrote: [snip]

That helps you. I really think the Supreme Court might throw out business method patents and tighten up the software / hardware interaction vague rulings. The rise of the patent trolls seems to have blinded folks to the underlying market value of a product. Seems like every time I get thrown into a deal like this the first thing that comes out of the MBA's mouth is "what patents do you have". Forget "If we had it on the market tomorrow we would sell boat loads", now it is sue everyone and try to make money through the courts. As the song said, "Money for nothing, chicks for free..."

Good luck on the project, I do hope you sell a bunch and make lots of money - "Long Live Capitalism".

--
Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls, Tx.

In the US it started as a way to allow the public chime in with prior art on stuff that was about to be patented. I don't know what motivated publication in Europe, but I do know we have, by treaty, aligned our some of publication practice with theirs, for consistency.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

In practice probably nothing at all. And unless you have *very* deep pockets to defend your patent a large corporate can infringe it with virtual impunity knowing that they can rack up the legal bill and waste your management time until either you give up or go bust.

A USPTO patent isn't worth the paper it is printed on. They will patent anything these days without bothering to check prior art. The software ones are a complete joke. There are even patents granted on some mathematical identities like X + (-X) = 0 as applied to JPEG.

Depends how easy the thing is to reverse engineer and clone. First mover advantage and initial market share can be enough to keep new entrants from making much of a dent. Or alternatively expect a couple of serious competitors to tool up and enter the market and base your business strategy on that scenario. A third of the pie is still worth having. You may have to drop prices when clones enter the market.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Obviously, the Russians patented everything first; his name is RegUS von PatOff.

Reply to
Robert Baer