Patagonian Prestolite

I took a trip to the boonies of Argentina. On the estancia I visited they had an ancient tractor with a bad charging system (24 volts). It had a new Prestolite alternator and a mechanical regulator. I opened the regulator and found the contacts solidly welded together, so bad that I had to do considerable damage to separate them -- a total loss. So I had the ranch owner write down the numbers on the side of the alternator and on his next trip to town he bought a new electronic regulator, and I installed it for him. On this Prestolite alternator, one end of the field is grounded and the regulator feeds it from the high side. A holdover design from the days of mechanical regulators. The ranch owner didn=B4t seem to have any trouble finding a solid-state 24 volt regulator for an alternator with high-side field control in a small town in Patagonia. I would have thought it would be a job to find such a thing even in the States.

Reply to
gearhead

Not really, since many road tractors (trailers) have 24 volt systems in them..

Reply to
Jamie

Yes, but only while starting. The rest of the time the batteries are in parallel to supply 12 volts. You sound like a truckstop 'Lot Lizzard'.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

Err, not in the uk afaik. Here, a 24v truck is just that and even the bulbs are 24v, as are the alternators...

Think about what's needed to switch two batteries between 12 and 24v...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Not much: A few starter type solenoids. It's been done that way for generations in the US. To start the diesel engine two sets of contacts open. One opens the negative connection to the chassis for the battery that is permanently connected to the vehicle wiring. The second set opens the positive lead from the permanently grounded battery and the third connects the two batteries in series to get 24 volts. Release the key and the system reverts to 12 volts. BTDT when installing electronics on a lot of rigs for friends who drove 'Over the road' rigs.