Pace PRC-2000 soldering/desoldering question

Won two Pace PRC-2000 soldering/desoldering stations at military auction. I have not yet picked them up, hopefully I will early next week. I am not familiar with them, can they be used at home for general screwing around with circuits? Also, can I remove old components easily with such a station? My plan is to sell one and keep another if it is usable by hobbyists like me. I want to hear a little about what they are. Thanks.

Ignoramus8558

I may be mistaken here, but I believe the PRC-2000 is the board rework system, which includes the (conductive) soldering and desoldering station and some other tools such as a hot air tool and a 'dremel' type tool. My experience, and opinion, of all the pace equiment I have used is that it is top notch. I personally use their MBT-250, which I think is the little brother of the PRC system, and have sucessfully performed some serious SMT work with it (and the assistance of a microscope of course).

You should find that the PRC is more than sufficient for "screwing around with circuits" and should be able to remove (and replace) old components with ease. BGA style components may be an exception, however.

Reply to
Noway2

I'd be interested in the second station.

Reply to
methisdum

That's my understanding, as well, it has a bunch of tools for desoldering, bridging, blah blah.

That is very nice to hear.

That's extremely nice. I would love to remove plenty of old stuff and make solder bridges.

Like I said, I won two such systems in a military auction and will sell one and keep another. Hopefully it will end up not costing me too much.

I wanted to have a nice soldering system, I am tired of my soldering iron as the only tool.

Ignoramus20852

Thanks. At this point, I do not even know if they are good, complete, etc. I will get them and post some info. I will probably post one on ebay, but maybe not. Right now I cannot promise anything, since they could be completely trashed or missing major parts.

Ignoramus20852