Overloading an LM317

Bit of an odd thing to say, isn't the just stated performance of the fan controller an exact counter-example to that assertion?

Reply to
JosephKK

Pay for such smarts? We buy lots of fans, and I've stopped a lot of them by hand, and I've never seen one blow up. We don't even pay extra for non-blowing-up fans. Even the cheapest ones self-protect.

I remain surprised that nobody makes a good general-purpose current limiter chip. It wouldn't even have to be a single-purpose part, just one more current-set pin on an LDO.

John

Those fans are quasi-stepper... kick, look for a commutation voltage, then continue, with some kind of minimum frequency start oscillator.

I've used the game at nearly 1/4hp levels (Bosch/Mercedes A/C fan motor). No current limit needed, though I've done that too. ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Aren't the hot-swap controller chips pretty much that?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Yep. Good observation. I should have remembered... I've designed them :-) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Some are, but there's very little above 5 volts. Fairchild (or is it ON?) has a specific current limiter part but it's, pretty well, limited. And expensive.

John