OT: The speed and strategy of google

*you*

Exactly. I don't know where Jan read such stuff, he isn't telling. Indexing teaser links is IMHO ethically borderline because you think "yeah, I found it!" only to be confronted with a membership application. But it certainly is not illegal, as password hacking would certainly be in most countries.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

*you*

yep, setting your user agent pretending to be googlebot opens many doors

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

On a sunny day (Sat, 06 Mar 2010 20:53:59 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

*you*

Stick to posting about something you actually have a clue about:-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 06 Mar 2010 12:29:27 -0800) it happened Joerg wrote in :

harder

enter

No arguing about your religion :-)

Like the US today.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 06 Mar 2010 12:18:20 -0800) it happened Fred Abse wrote in :

Actually I ment NSA.

It is a vague thing, US also has NOA. NOA? (maybe it needs some more characters) also listens in in your cell phone, apart from looking at the weather

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Does the robots.txt file not work with Google's webcrawlers? It's been quite a while since I've run my own site so I'm honestly not sure.

Reply to
Bitrex

On a sunny day (Sat, 6 Mar 2010 13:18:16 -0800 (PST)) it happened " snipped-for-privacy@fonz.dk" wrote in :

would *you*

Interesting, should try that sometime. Do you think calling it Osama would close many doors? Maybe open ones in an other part of the world? Think I am going to try 'santa' too with wget. LOL And Obama. Mr Kim?

Ah, I know some more :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 06 Mar 2010 17:46:44 -0500) it happened Bitrex wrote in :

Unless I made grove mistakes in my robots.txt, google never gave a shit, It does look at it, that is true. And also it is a hasle to have to maintain a robots.txt, new file types are added all the time, and sometimes you do not want large files with extention .something scanned, like huge .pfd, or tgz, but the small ones are OK, just to reduce bandwidth. I think there is no possibility for file size limit in robots.txt, it is a very limited instrument. I mainly depend on my firewall, 3691 lines, now, makes for more then 1500 bad guys, or IP ranges of bad guys. There are on average 2 to 3 attacks on the site per day, and 1 or 2 per month now on the nameserver, that part is protected by scripts. And of course the usual mail junk attempts. I have closed many ports, so the ssh attacks and tha tsort of stuff no longer cause problems, that was very intense too. Lst year there were huge DNS attacks, that is when I wrote scripts to counter that, mainly political motivated stuff I think, as I posted to us.politics too during the election. Maintaining a website without becoming part of a botnet takes some doing.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

else.

rder

enter

would *you*

Really? Google can index a password protected directory. ?? (I doubt it)

Tell me, how does it know the directory name?

(Note: I'm assuming here it's not linked to, or referenced from, any other web page. Just a directory on your host.)

Reply to
mpm

On a sunny day (Sat, 6 Mar 2010 15:01:15 -0800 (PST)) it happened mpm wrote in :

The way I have read it, is they scan other pages for references to some words (probably use a list of likely candiadates). For example in my site on one page you can read: 'log in here with user name '...' and password ',,,''. Google has written software to evaluate that, and then enters the pages. The reason for those password protected pages is that it is only for humans, to reduce traffic load by keeping google & other spiders out. Also as part of the net traffic goes via googles own networks, they can, if it is plaintext, simply scan for logins, and make a list.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

harder

enter

I meant that differently. I think it was an urban legend ;-)

It's changing a bit. People here begin to save money.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

If you mean NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration), you're talking horse crap.

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

It's NOAA. But where do you get all those urban legends from? Those pamphlets at the cash register that have the front page news that an alien orbiter just landed?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Sounds like tabloid "information".

That is _not_ password cracking. Oh man ...

Do you sleep with the lights on, afraid the gremlins might come?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah? Well, pigs were bigger back then!

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

phone,

He lost his ticket, and is trying to hitch a ride back to his planet. :(

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

Lightning - NOAA's Arc?

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Actually a website is never password protected. The server will always serve you a webpage! It is the content that may be password protected. The software (php, asp, active java pages, etc) the website is build with can decide based on the browser, IP address, etc to ask you for password or not to show the content.

Just read Google's manual on this and the manuals on how robots.txt is to be interpreted... It is really pretty simple.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

On a sunny day (Sat, 06 Mar 2010 15:33:58 -0800) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Just kidding :-)

As long as you do not save it in a bank :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 06 Mar 2010 15:40:32 -0800) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Joerg now seriously, I have been well eh, just seriously.

I am not part of that Paranoid Club, but really you seem very ignorant about the country you live in:

Google NOAA espionage.

Some basics OK?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje