OT: The smell of soldering

There is nothing better than the smell of rosin core flux. How wonderful it is.

I guess I am hooked.

Reply to
John S

When is the lung transplant scheduled?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Thanks, Bill. I guess I needed that slap in the face now that I am 74 years old. I will enjoy the remaining years of my life by living it to to pleasure me. If I must give up those things which are precious to me, then let me die now.

I presume you will die after a longer life and be as happy. Good for you.

Reply to
John S

Does the smell of burned Selenium rectifier bring back memories?

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Boris Mohar

I can remember watching little brown spots form on the plates, then a curl of smoke ;-) ...Jim Thompson

At which point it's wise to leave the room for a bit.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 07:59:21 -0600, John S Gave us:

You forgot "in the morning..."

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 06:11:04 -0800 (PST), Bill Sloman Gave us:

The toxicity of rosin core fumes when soldering is nil. If it were a problem, the industry would have used something else decades ago. These are not the DDT days.

Any claim of lead being in the smoke is pure scientifically proven idiocy.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 07:51:11 -0800 (PST), Phil Hobbs Gave us:

Must be why they put selenium in vitamins. Good for the memory.

Burned selenium must be like caramelized onions and steak char. They say that is very bad for you. Worse even than the long chain triglyceride fats.

I'll take mine in vitamin form, thanks.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Careful it might cause corneal erosion.

Martin Riddle

What makes you think anyone should care? Grow up.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I wonder if someone has invented a solder scented incense.

Reply to
Kevin Glover

Kester 44 smells the best as well as working the best.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Colophony allergy is real and a significant cause of occupational asthma.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 11:41:37 -0500, Martin Riddle Gave us:

My feet have no corns. It must have worked.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

And obviously, he won't.

Party pooper.

On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 09:19:57 -0800 (PST), Phil Hobbs Gave us:

Good ol' 63/37 took the science community some tears to arrive at and was the best.

RoHS has to be the worst thing the Euro idiots ever foisted on the world. Metallic form lead is not an environmental problem at all.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Well, you could just try burning paste flux.

Rosin is tree sap, which has been burned as incense for thousands of years. Mir, frankincense, etc are mentioned in the bible and are still used in religious ceremonies. I believe that pine rosin is the base material used for soldering flux and should smell similar when incinerated:

I've experimented with using natural pine pitch rosin for soldering. It works, but the smell is overpowering. The natural stench is far stronger than whatever is used in the solder. My guess(tm) is that a nasal desensitizer has been added to the soldering flux.

However, if I take your question literally, neither RoHS or Pb/Sn solder has a scent and would probably be hazardous in a vapor state. I suppose it could be done in an oxidized state, but I don't think you'll find it very pleasing to the senses.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 12:41:14 -0500, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno Gave us:

Errr..... years, not tears.