OT: The flame has been lit, I hope

rote:

e a way to do it with one. Not unless you scrape some paint off!

but might suffice for some jobs.

would indeed be a gamble. Used as above at low current with low temp rise it isn't.

ge there.

only if you give it enough current for it to get hot. Run a few mA through the thing and it's not going to get hot enough to do that

ly.

I meant to write Vcc, my bad. Of course Vce isn't regulated :)

be kept down trivially.

ar enough.

Spice shows current vary from 26mA to 28.3mA over almost the full 10v Vcc:

Version 4 SHEET 1 880 680 WIRE -352 -48 -480 -48 WIRE 16 -48 -352 -48 WIRE -480 -32 -480 -48 WIRE 16 16 16 -48 WIRE -480 64 -480 48 WIRE -352 80 -352 -48 WIRE 16 144 16 80 WIRE -352 192 -352 160 WIRE -48 192 -352 192 WIRE 16 400 16 240 WIRE 16 400 -48 400 WIRE -48 432 -48 400 FLAG -480 64 0 FLAG -48 432 0 SYMBOL npn -48 144 R0 SYMATTR InstName Q2 SYMATTR Value 2N3904 SYMBOL voltage -480 -48 R0 WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 2 WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 2 SYMATTR InstName V1 SYMATTR Value 10 SYMBOL res -368 64 R0 SYMATTR InstName R1 SYMATTR Value 100k SYMBOL cap 0 16 R0 SYMATTR InstName C1

TEXT -512 -88 Left 2 !.tran 0 1 0 10u startup

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have some ocean beach property in Yuma I'd like to sell you >:-} ...Jim Thompson

e:

e, but might suffice for some jobs.

it would indeed be a gamble. Used as above at low current with low temp ri se it isn't.

range there.

gh the thing and it's not going to get hot enough to do that

eatly.

an be kept down trivially.

near enough.

c:

I'll build it & try it at some point. Thread bookmarked.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yeah, I did have a smiley face. Jim, I don't know you much at all, but to me you seem like a big teddy bear, (I trust this won't offensive.) It's not at all hard to rub you the right way, and you'll share what you know.

From my perspective, (somewhat selfish) it would be totally awesome (and fun) for you to put some of your circuits together into a book with comments!

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yep. That's me ;-)

Ask my grandkids.

...Jim Thompson

I think Larkin posted that circuit here as a LED (indicator) driver. Probably why Jim doesn't like it :)

(just a joke, don't start you two or I'll have to split you up).

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I don't see Larkin's posts. Only occasionally do I see follow-ups to his posts... I have a pretty robust filtering system to minimize aggravations >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Your circuit analysis technique seems like alchemy because a lot of things are intuitive to you, and you probably can't imagine how to explain it, or even that it would need to be explained.

When you explain something to someone, you have to articulate your thoughts like never before. That will happen when you get to the point where you are explaining circuit analysis to that kid. Then I hope you'll say, "Hey, I could write that down."

The future of the nation depends on it Jim!

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

You've put your finger right on it... that is indeed the problem.

I sometimes think circuit design is like a foreign language. Last night I was literally dreaming in circuit schematic language of how to model digital parts in the Analog domain. This morning the dream proved to be correct... I can take information from the datasheet and parameterize:

.SUBCKT Buffer_Config A Y VP VN PARAMS:

  • CL=50pF
  • VDD=4.5V
  • IOH=4mA
  • IOL=4mA
  • TRF=7ns
  • VOH=4.32V
  • VOL=0.15V
  • TPROP=9ns | (Undisclosed cleverness :-) | |

(74HC parameters)

Matches the datasheet perfectly.

Last night, whilst sipping a glass of Francis Ford Coppola Pinot Grigio, I sketched out a scheme to behavioral model the output stage of an OpAmp such that it properly reflects load current to the proper supply, using only one G-source and one E-source:

I'll now incorporate that into my universal OpAmp model that I've been working for several months... 16 or so specifications from datasheet as input, model performance matches everything: GBW, excess phase, slew-rate (different plus/minus), recovery from railing, input-referred noise, bounded outputs, current limiting (different plus/minus), etc... all done with less than 10 lines of code (before encryption >:-}

;-) ...Jim Thompson

Just think about what you will say to your grand kid when he wants to know about analysis. You'll find a way to explain some of it.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

e in

ht

es

f the

se

I've not built & tested it yet, so will save any certainties till then. Jim said the Early effect would be a problem, but I don't see it. The slope of Vce versus Ic depends on Early voltage & Ic, and at Ic very low relative t o Icmax, the slope is close to flat enough to make a useful constant curren t device. But as I said, Jim does have a lot more experience than me so I'l l wait until its built & tested.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It seems inevitable. Digital logic gates are after all analogue circuits that we treat in a digital manner. Relays excepted :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Absolutely true... a digital gate, at the device-level, is Analog. In

1997 I redesigned most of ON Semi's 74HCxxx line to fit the process of a new fab facility (Chartered Semiconductor). A wee bit tricky to maintain the (relatively) slow speed of 74HC using a high-speed process ;-)

The hardest part in the line-up was the 74HCU04... the _unbuffered_ inverter... carefully tweaking the gain-bandwidth product... since the

74HCU04 is used a lot in crystal oscillators. ...Jim Thompson

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson works hard at insulating himself from stuff that doesn't make him feel good.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I do not understand the reason for your post. Everyone who reads SED knows the kind of things that Jim Thompson posts and has an opinion about Jims personality. So your post did not help to inform anyone.

And they also know the kind of things you post. So your post did not help people with understanding you.

Maybe I missed something. Feel free to explain why you made this post.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

It's easier to understand without the load resistor.

V+ -+- | [R1] | .----+ | | [R2] | | |

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Reply to
tabbypurr

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

lol :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

We get newbies from time to time. They do have to be brought up to speed.

That's a relief.

I hadn't used the line "Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson" recently, and saw a space where it would fit.

Feel free to explain why you made your post.

This isn't sci.design.amateur_psychology

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to