[OT] Santa Barbara fire

This fire is a bit close to home. Fire edge might be 2 or 3 miles away.

-- Mark

Reply to
qrk

Get out there and dance in your "signature" sandals ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | Think things are bad now? Wait until Obama "takes care" of you.

That's what I plan to do tonight. Good swing band playing tonight. Since the winds have calmed down, looks like we're safe for tonight. I add a few more pics to my site of helicopters filling up at a local reservoir. Unfortunately, our production chief probably lost her house to this fire.

-- Mark

Reply to
qrk

Just make sure to be ready. I remember one out here where we had ash like on your truck. The scary moment was when I walked by the pool and the stuff that fell in made a hissing sound ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

After I got home from helping a friend evacuate her home, I packed up my valuables in case I needed to make that 5 minute escape. The next morning, I stored them at work. Fortunately, the fire isn't spreading much and firefighters are making good progress. Yesterday, I found burned bits of paper in my yard and my neighbor found similar bits, probably from the houses that burned just over the ridge from my neighborhood. Unfortunately, our production chief's house is gone. They had minutes to evacuate amongst a rain of burning embers.

Do you have a gas powered water pump for your pool?

Reply to
qrk

No. My main concern during a power failure would be my reef tank (aquarium), circulation AND cooling. But I haven't seen a power failure here, lasting more than a few minutes (car hit a pole, system reset itself), in the 14 years we've lived here. (We don't get power from California... you pay a premium when you draw from us... we passed a law some years ago forbidding sale of AZ electricity out-of-state for less than what we pay ;-)

Also have a tile roof, but there's nothing to burn around here and rain embers.

But I do wish we had a natural gas feed... I'd really like a power back-up for when the terrorists initiate Obama and he says, "Let's negotiate" :-( I guess I could put in a propane tank.

I had a job offer from Mattel in the late '60's. Stayed at Jack Ryan's house in Bel Air (next door to Zsa Zsa, who he later married :-) He had an old pumper fire truck sitting out back to pump water from his pool.

...Jim Thompson

 Think things are bad now?  Wait until Obama "takes care" of you.