OT: Movie recommendation

Just saw a really good movie, in spite of it starring Bruce Willis, "RED" (Retired Extremely Dangerous)

("Digital" version is gorgeous!) ...Jim Thompson

Just watched the trailer. Looks good. Seems ages ago since Willis and Cybill Shepherd were in 'moonlighting'

Reply to
Oppie

I think it is, certainly before my time!! ;-)

Reply to
Fredxx

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

It was enjoyable, but I wouldn't say memorable. Check back in a week and see if you can recall what the movie was about.

What I "do" remember was they wanted $7.50 for a large popcorn! What a complete ripoff. Maybe they have to charge that much because DVD, VOD and satellite are eating into their profits? But I predict movie theaters are going to die a quick death at those rates. Figure $5 for a matinee ticket, $5.50 for a soda (pop, Coke, whatever), and $7.50 for a popcorn..... now, figure a family of 4. Even a date is going to run you close to $40, and that's before dinner.

The "other" thing I remember (maybe this is the norm for matinees?), is, I had to suffer through nearly a half-hour of commercials (previews). I guess some folks like them, and if so, run them BEFORE the schedule movie time, and limit it to 2 or 3 once showtime comes around. They won't of course. But then, soon as you plan to arrive late so you don't have to sit through all the crap, all the good seats are either gone, or they won't play many previews and you end up missing half the movie. You can't win.

Reply to
mpm

Movie theaters today make the vast majority of their money off of concessions -- almost the entire price of the movie ticket itself goes back to the studio, distributor, etc.

More like a slow death -- most people who don't want to fork over $10 for a Coke & popcorn either just do without or sneak something in.

The ticket prices themselves though is what keeps DVD rentals and -- more recently -- PPV TV (via cable, satellite, or Internet) expanding.

Many people with a bit more money -- say, a couple grand or more to spend on a home theater system -- prefer watching in their own home anyway to the sticky floors and sometimes-rude patrons at a theater.

The $2 or whatever it is surcharge for 3D movies is probably a decent money maker right now.

On rare occasion I've seen a theater do this ("the published time is when THE MOVIE ITSELF starts"), but yeah, practically speaking you're just SOL.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

IIRC, the studios take most of the gross revenue from a film, at least right after it is released, so that leaves the concession stand for them to "get well". At $12-13 USD a ticket, it's not cheap.

Yeah, $20 US a person is about right. B..b..but that "small" popcorn and drink will be sufficient to choke and subsequently drown a horse.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Us "seniors" go to the half-price matinee, then go to RA for a Bento Box lunch ;-)

Not for a while. We saw the 'digital" version, and it was superb video quality.

We spent $10.50 for the two of us to see the movie, then $85.00 (including tip) for lunch (including 4 Saketini's :-)

...Jim Thompson

 Ding Dong! That Wicked Old Witch Pelosi is Dead! Hurrah! Hurrah!

Are there any of those "dinner [movie] theater" places by you? You might be able to combine the two trips into one! :-)

Sounds like you don't have much of a home theatre at your house...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Yes, Some dinner theaters (live acting), but the food quality has degenerated in recent years.

A single trip: AMC (24) Theaters is ~5 miles away. Next door is RA (sushi/sashimi). Across the street, Italian, and a boutique beer garden with good food. Many other restaurants within a few blocks... steak, seafood, continental, plus an assortment of diner-level stuff (but good food)... we go to a place called Keegan's Grill and Taproom a lot.

55" JVC wide-screen, plus surround sound... 300+ DVD's in my library :-)

Wife gets cabin fever (*), so we eat out a lot, go to movies maybe once a month.

(*) Since we're both always working at home. I don't get cabin fever... I could live in a cave :-) ...Jim Thompson

 Ding Dong! That Wicked Old Witch Pelosi is Dead! Hurrah! Hurrah!

Awesome selection!

Hmm... maybe I should move to Arizona... oh, wait, waaaay too hot for my wife... :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I stopped going to theaters when they cranked the volume up so high. I had a migraine for a week after watching 'Chicken Run'.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I want one of those decommissioned missile silos.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I go to a second run showing,on the 75c day. ;-) Or see it other days for under $2. I -used- to be able to see a first run movie for $4 matinee,and that theater went full digital(saw the last Die Hard movie in digital;fantastic!),but closed shortly after that conversion. Bummer. I don't even know what the area's remaining theaters charge for a first run movie.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

RED is very Die Hard-ish. Great entertainment. I think it'll lose a lot on the little screen.

It's $9.50, here (and another $5+ for a soda). We used to get in as "seniors" for half price, but they raised the age from 55 to 65. :-( We don't go as often anymore.

Reply to
krw

Hmm, this movie is just a bunch of images and noise. Try watching Inception.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Do you recommend it? My thoughts, when I read the reviews, was that it was a bit on the hokey side.

RED, on the other hand, helps me formulate my shooting habits... perhaps I'm a closet Malkovich :-) ...Jim Thompson

 Ding Dong! That Wicked Old Witch Pelosi is Dead! Hurrah! Hurrah!

My father came down from north a couple a months ago, he decided to take me out to a movie. We got there, and he said, 3 Seniors, which included his Wife (step mother to me). The girl didn't seem to even squinch and eye brow.. When I got home, I had to look at myself in the mirror to see if she was being nice, confused or just couldn't tell the different!

It's a bitch getting OLD I guess.

Reply to
Jamie

I guess, in your case of being 'old and ignorant' is a real bitch.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

When I first started requesting "senior" discounts my wife expressed offense... then she noticed that the movie was half-price. Now she says, "Senior" ;-0

A lot of chain restaurants now offer "senior" smaller portions at significant price reduction... a good deal all around... less money and no wasted food... I can't empty a typical standard plate. ...Jim Thompson

 Ding Dong! That Wicked Old Witch Pelosi is Dead! Hurrah! Hurrah!

You have to concentrate while watching Inception. Its a complicated movie but the plot is a bit thin in the end. It has some nice Escher like effects in it as well.

I agree. Malkovich has one of the better parts in the movie.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel