OT: How life came to Earth

I've been thinking about torque motors, which are beautiful and interesting gadgets, and specifically about simulating them to a FADEC. Being lazy, I do my hard thinking while I'm asleep. Coffee and a shower provoke delivery.

I can't build a reasonable board that would absorb energy during acceleration and return it during deceleration, but most customers wouldn't demand that. But we could simulate the system moment of inertia and loading and compute angular position and report that and then simulate an encoder.

We can have programmable coil resistances too. Programmable inductance is a whole nother issue.

COE is a PITA.

Reply to
jlarkin

Actually, we could. It would be a pain, so I hope my customers don't find that feature appealing.

Reply to
jlarkin

To absorb energy during acceleration, a flywheel. To return energy during deceleration... a flywheel.

Not sure why electronics would be involved. Mass would be my first go-to solution.

Reply to
whit3rd

It wouldn't fit on a PC board. And we want all the parameters to be programmable.

The torque motor simulator (or several) would go on one of those plugin boards.

During acceleration, we could dissipate the customer's drive power, blow hot air out the back of the box. During decel, we could push back power from our main kilowatt power supply. Giant hassle, but no energy storage would be required.

A big spinning mass can store a lot of energy.

People who test things like engine control computers sometimes use a "wet cell" or an "iron bird" that has real motors and gearboxes and sometimes real jet engines. But they'd rather not. They generally prefer a programmable process simulator.

Phil Hobbs would be able to do both if he needed to, but that makes him more competent than you are, and you don't like to think about that.

That might might be true for you, since your skill set clearly doesn't include "solving " non-linear differential equations.

It probably isn't true for people who paid more attention during their university education, or for people who learned to get educated by reading the literature.

Instincts can't be taught. What you actually means is that you don't like thinking about what you are doing and leave the processing to your subconscious.

And you haven't got a clue what they are being taught, and would resent it if they told you that there was an easier and more reliable way of getting the results that you insist of getting by running lots of simulations (where you don't seem to be too picky about specifying all the parameters of the parts you are simulating - as in inductors without parallel capacitance).

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Oh, it's a simulator. So, the reaction against which the motive power is exerted includes the equivilant of m*a, which is d/dt (angular momentum). It'd be a poor model for motor startup if it didn't have current surges then. If there's any switchmode character to the power source, the reaction is also important in preventing spurious ultrasound responses to high frequency parts of the drive signal. You'll probably want to have a programmable load subroutine for things like rotor mass, and velocity-squared drag if there's a fan cooling the motor. These are internal 'force' elements, just as real as usable external torque.

Reply to
whit3rd

whit3rd snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

That flywheel is the battery. Regenerative braking systems dump energy into the battery charging it up some. No need to spool up a flywheel. Trains do it into big resistor banks because they do not care about getting the juice back.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Torque motors act like three-phase steppers.

The drivers are usually three pwm half-bridges, chopping in the 10 to maybe 30 KHz range.

the reaction is also important in preventing spurious

What's cool is that after 238 hen-clucky off-topic posts in this thread, a single mention of real electronics silences the coop.

Reply to
jlarkin

Three phase steppers are just one more form of synchronous motor. More coils just let you smooth out the torque as the shaft rotates across the coils.

Since the "real electronics" was totally irrelevant to the subject line, this shouldn't come as a surprise. The more relevant posts probably did come across as "hen-clucking" to you, since you don't know enough about the subject to make sense of them, and consequently produced a lot of clucks about DNA which looks as if it was grafted on to what started off as a system where all the program data was held as RNA sequences.

It may look "cool" to you, but your point of view is predicated on finding situations where your rather limited comprehension might get admired.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

On a sunny day (Thu, 17 Feb 2022 11:58:55 -0800) it happened John Larkin <jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

What is wrong with some big battery pack for storage and reclaim? I have 250Ah 12V lifepo4 sitting in a waterproof housing here:

energy wasted.

The thing on top is a 2kW 12V to 230V pure sinewave converter. It is actully for a boat, but served me well during a power outage here last week Works much longer than the UPS:-) Big storm coming now here, no more trains even.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

That's rich! Around 67 of those 238 posts were yours. That's 50% more than Bill, and more than double David or mine.

If you don't write rubbish, people won't have anything to correct.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

For starters, it's big. Not available in surface mount.

We need a few big storms. There's only been a few inches of snow for 6 weeks.

Reply to
jlarkin

Given a physics and electronics topic, you keep clucking.

Reply to
jlarkin

Look, if you want to discuss electronics, physics, or anything else - great. But /please/ learn how Usenet works. This thread is "OT: How life came to Earth". That's the topic for the thread. If you want to start discussing something very different that bears no relation to the current topic or posts, start a new thread!

As it stands, you are doing nothing but mucking up a biology discussion even more, and ensuring that anyone who is interested in motor control but uninterested in biology will miss out on the motor discussion.

One might think your motivation has nothing to do with an interest in motors, and your post is just your silly holier-than-thou attempt at "proving" you are a fabulous designer full of wonderful ideas, and other people are not.

Reply to
David Brown

/please/ learn how Usenet works. This group is unmoderated.

I was hoping that mentioning electronics and physics would drive the chickens away. It mostly did.

Well, that applies between you and me.

You're not a biologist either.

Reply to
jlarkin

On a sunny day (Fri, 18 Feb 2022 07:39:21 -0800) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Depends on your definition of surface mount mine is in a suitcase format, easy to put on any surface. It is more green to use a battery as flywheel than to heat up the environment even more ;-) If you power the thing from the same battery then you have a portable setup.

We have code red now, 3 people already died from falling trees. My sat dish is now slightly out of alignment. Have to wait for it to calm down to fix it.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

You cluck twice as often. Or is that gabble?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

We got an insane, all-time-record, snowpack in December, and then it stopped. But there's still a lot on the ground up there.

The weather is extremely erratic on the US West coast.

Reply to
jlarkin

David Brown snipped-for-privacy@hesbynett.no wrote in news:suohsf$oif$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Precisely. On both points... He doesn't know how Usenet works, and should be starting a new thread, not pissing and moaning about how little we all know and how much he knows.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Larkin? It's pablum. No question. Lame pablum even, which he invented.