OT: foldable workbench

Anybody here use a workbench like a Black & Decker "Portable Project Center" ??

I find the B&D to be very flimsy and poorly built, too much plastic and cheap particle board.

Is there something else like this but better? John Larkin, you seem the type to have a too like this somewhere ??

Gotta be foldable.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

I've had a WorkMate (don't remember the model number) for 25ish years. They work great, for what they are. There are other models if that one isn't right for you.

If you are doing construction sorts of things, you might check out the Rockwell "JawHorse" or clone.

krw

[snip]

I've had that model WorkMate for about 40 years. Though I'm now contemplating fitting a good workbench into the garage. ...Jim Thompson

I have a European one but looks similar to this:

It is very important that it has a laminated hardwood top of substantial thickness, minimum one inch and several layers so it won't warp or buckle. I also painted the top with varnish from a good boating supply store, five coats AFAIR. Avoids ugly stains. It pays not to skimp on this stuff.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

MDF has the advantage that it won't warp like wood. It's also easily replaceable but I haven't had to replace mine in the 25 years.

Reply to
krw

Well Jim I'll buy yours then. If it's 40 years old it's probably built like a Tektronix 547. The ones they make now are origami.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Those wood slats on top look like a good grade of plywood, and they DO crow about steel "Heavy-Guage Steel Constuction holds up to 450 lbs" (am not responsible for the crummy spelling). So if instead it is made of cheap particle board and furthermore little if any steel then one has cause for a false advertising claims lawsuit.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Jim could probably test that claim with ease, by standing on it :-)

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

The 40-year-old Workmate that I have is definitely NOT particle board. ...Jim Thompson

There isn't much difference between the one I bought 25 years ago and the ones they're selling now. It's still a very useful gadget.

Reply to
krw

Nah, the forty warning labels say "Do no stand...".

The new ones aren't either. The top is MDF, which works quite well.

Reply to
krw

Exactly right. Mine still works fine after 25+ years of use, in spite of "living" in the garage where stuff rusts from condensation and temperatures can be anywhere from ~0 in the winter to ~ 100 in the summer.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com Inscribed thus:

I've had several cheap Chinese copies for a number of years. They are fine for the jobs they were intended for. I use a couple with a board across them, like a table, for outdoor dining. Clamped to a runner at each end. Its surprisingly solid.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've got the Workmate 200,the costlier model 400 had more features like a vertical clamping ability. I love it.

Particle board is more durable,flatter,and doesn't warp. I suppose you could replace it with 3/4" birch plywood,the good stuff,with a good stain/poly finish.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

did they HAVE particle board back in that era?

the "good ol days".... 8-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Good point. Maybe not. But I think there was already floor "underlayment". ...Jim Thompson

I remember particle board in the mid-1960s, it was a really despised = material=20 back then. It fell apart if you got it wet.

Reply to
JosephKK

Wet? High humidity would make it crumble. :(

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

Particle board MDF. WorkMate tops are MDF. MDF still shouldn't be used in a wet location but it's not all that bad.

Reply to
krw

Florida doesn't have humidity. You have *wet*. ;-)

Reply to
krw