OT: Earthquake Aid to Italy

I did a Google search on: united states aid italy earthquake

This came up.

Apparently the other major news orgs didn't bother to look into it.

$50k, really, that's it?

Now, granted, President Berlusconi said not to give aid:

"I thank foreign countries for their solidarity, but we ask them not to send us aid," he said. "We can handle the needs on our own. We are a proud people and we have the means."

But still, at least the US could offer a bit more than $50k, no?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Have you seen Obama bin Biden's charitable contributions? I think they did pretty well here, considering they gave the Brit PM a couple of DVDs that wouldn't play. Cut them some slack!

Reply to
krw

Nope but I saw a video of Obama making a deep bow to the Saudi king - so deep I thought he'd fall over.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Un bel giorno snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com digitò:

I normally have a very low opinion of Berlusconi, but this time I couldn't agree more: offering 50 k$ for a disaster like this is an insult.

--
emboliaschizoide.splinder.com
Reply to

Madonna's offered $500k of her own money. Or, we should say, about $900k of her own money, since, under the new rules, Obama's going to get nearly half of it.

So Madonna's the actual donor, the U.S. government would skim ~$400k, pass $50k on to Italy, and Obama's net contribution is actually -$350k.

That's the new "generosity."

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

It's a slap in the face: "... but we ask them not to send us aid," and Prez Barry is sending money anyway. Italians can be pretty proud people.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

He's now falling all over himself trying to explain how he wasn't bowing before to a foreign power.

Reply to
krw

At her level of income she won't be able to write off the deduction. More good ideas from Obama bin Biden and the House bitch.

Reply to
krw

Yeah, you're right. Charitable deductions are reduced by:

min( 0.8*restricted deductions, 0.03*(AGI-160K) ----------------------------------------------- 3

So charitable deductions = 0 for AGI >= $260k.

My less-affluent friends are positive that rich people deduct everything under the sun and pay no tax. It's a lie.

So Obama's proposal to eliminate that deduction is really a tax increase on those making less than $260k--a broken election promise.

James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

After double-checking the byzantine conditions for the first term of Eq. 1, AIUI Madonna would get to deduct, under the

2008 rules, about 3/4 of her donation.

She's in the 35% bracket, plus 13% self-employment tax, plus roughly 10% state income tax for either California or New York-- I'm not sure which she claims.

So, she gets to deduct about $375k of $500k, reducing the People's Ministry of Extreme Fairness and Redistribution of Wealth's take by about $190k.

To donate the same amount under Obama's rules she'd have to earn an extra $1M.

James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

No, "she" just doesn't give as much (or at all). Just what the weenies want.

Reply to
krw

It's a two-fer: they get more $$, at the expense of people they generally oppose. It's a tax on conservatives, mostly.

Anyway, _they_ want to spread the wealth. They don't want you spreading your money generously, that's their job.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Exactly my point. They can't control your choice of charities. You won't give to ACORN.

Reply to
krw