OT: dB$

When negotiating a raise or contract terms, how should one express dB gain?

As: 20*log( New $ rate/ Current $ rate ) i.e. as a magnitude ratio

Or: 10*log( New $ rate / Current $ rate ) i.e. as a power ratio

Either way, I anticipate operating into a very high impedance.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ Opinions stated herein are the sole property of the author. Standard disclaimers apply. Celebrity voice impersonated. Batteries not included. Limit one to a customer. Best if used by April 1, 2006. Refrigerate after opening. Void if removed.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Careful, that kind of talk could bounce back to you later.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I read in sci.electronics.design that Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote (in ) about 'OT: dB$', on Tue, 13 Sep 2005:

It's obvious. Money is power.

John Woodgate

20Log(N$/O$), since it's a pretax number. Your accountant (and any SO) will see 10Log(N$/O$).
--
  Keith
Reply to

Watch out for standing waves.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

I thought Knowledge is Power. And Time is Money.

Since Work = Power * Time

Substituting variables, we get:

Work = Knowledge * Money

or:

Money = Work / Knowledge

So, the less you know, the more you get paid for the same amount of work.

(originally discovered by Scott Adams)

I could get a new lease on life but I need the first and last month
in advance.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

One shouldn't, in those circumstances.

Why does this not surprise me? ;-P

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Ouch! :-) Clearly there's a law that says smart alec responses are a continuing series.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Definitely not. Or do you tolerate -3dB less payment ?

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

For me, it's frequency dependent. If you want to pay at lower frequencies, you have to pay more. 30 days net, 60 days +0.4 dB, 90 days

  • 0.8 dB.
John Woodgate

ROFLOL.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

--
It\'s always about power, so the trick becomes one of matching the
source impedance (where the money\'s coming from) to the load, (where

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Fields wrote (in ) about 'OT: dB$', on Sat,

17 Sep 2005:

That way, half the money stays at the source. The Maximum Dollar Theorem is a trap for the unwary. One of the two best arrangements for 'maximum $$ received' is like an audio amp output - near zero source impedance and load impedance 10 to 100 times higher. The other is its dual.

John Woodgate