[OT] Blood Pressure

An interesting bit of info I gleaned from the last meeting of the UK Transhumanist Association, concerning supplements and their effectiveness (or not).

One of the "must haves" was something I had not heard of - lycopene.

Anyway, seems that taking in excess of 10mg per day will reduce BP in people by around 10/7mm. Problem is that if you look it up on the net it is rather pricey. Then one guy mentioned that you get more lycopene in a cheap tin of tomato soup than a typical supplement pill (about 3x).

So, with my trusty BP machine I ate/eat a tin of tomato soup a day. Result? - Works as advertised! My BP fell from 140/90 to 130/82 average. Next, reduce my salt intake and bring it down a lot further by adopting a Mediterranean diet. So, if you know someone who is lazy and wants to cut their BP with no effort, here's how to do it.

The lecture was given by Alistair Tweed who runs Aging Management (and is "one of us"). As to why reducing BP is important...

Diet

________

Another meeting this Sat, on... "One foot in the future. Attaining the 10,000+ year lifespan you always wanted?

Saturday 21st March, 2pm-4pm. Venue: Room 403, 4th floor (via main lift), Main Building, Birkbeck College, Torrington Square, London WC1E

7HX. The event is free and everyone's welcome.

Dr Richard Faragher, Reader in Gerontology, School of Pharmacy & Biomolecular Sciences, University of Brighton, will review the ageing process across the animal kingdom together with the latest scientific insights into how it may operate. The lecture will also review promising avenues for translation into practice over the next few years, and current barriers to progress in ageing research will be considered."

Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax