OT: Better litium batteries

The most recent Proceedings of the (US) National Academy of Sciences has another paper on the using the right electrolyte to get lithium batteries to work better, for longer

It's only an abstract, but it's one in a steady stream of papers. The prospect of an even better generation of lithium batteries sometime soon looks promising.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Thanks for the link. Some interesting research going on there. The paper at mentioning lithium-sulfur batteries approaching an energy density of 1kWh/kg was hopefully a taste of things to come. I guess, though, we should always keep a realistic view of such things (see although that paper is now a year old.)

--

Jeff
Reply to

There always a longish gap between researchers getting excited and factories churning out millions of better batteries, and there are always a lot of promising approaches that don't get anywhere.

But if people work through enough promising approaches, one of them will - mostly - pay off. Or we find out exactly why that bunch of approaches wasn't as promising as it looked

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to