Oscillator question

wn in

t). My

second

VC version

My RCA COS/MOS integrated circuits data book say "copyright 1974" on page 2, which is roughly when I started usign the parts. I was never much taken with its application notes. ICAN-6267 (which Jim has taken the trouble to scan and put up on his web-site)

is appreciably longer than

and doesn't specifically address the problem that seemed to be worrying the OP.

And have Jim judge the derivation for correctness? No chance at all.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

It makes the simple point that an odd number of inverters will always oscillate, something that the OP might find useful.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Yes, I did find that useful. Thank you very much.

Reply to
garyr

age

ed

So we get an extra 2.5 volts on the input using a 5 volt supply when the thing switches (7.5). Sounds about right. And if we use large capacitors (>100pF), a resistor is recommended. I hadn't considered the RC time delay of adding a resistor. Jim Thompson has an interesting circuit using 3 inverters and a couple extra resistors to avoid the diode problem. More parts, better performance.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

Yes, so instead of the diodes messing up the time constant, or the current limiting resistor adding propagation delay, you simply drive it with half the amplitude. Works great. Caveat: Thevenin resistance has to be considered, hence the big ratio of resistances. This is inefficient for battery use.

I don't get the third inverter. You can get a fine source of negative feedback from the first. The feedback is even stable if you use HCU (necessary for quartz oscillators). Fanout or risetime is fine from HC, which is buffered, but HCU could stand some sharpening.

I suppose if one were very serious about low power usage, you'd hack your own inverter out of two discrete FETs, which *don't* have protection diodes.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

He would piss the pair of his wife's panties he's wearing if he ever met a real redneck face to face. If he lived long enough. He would be safer bobbing for apples in a garbage disposal.

My copy is Technical Series CMS-271 6/72

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

--
You're right as rain, Jim, he chickened out! :-)
Reply to

Correct. I don't trust Jim as far as I could kick him (and granting his girth, that wouldn't be far).

Sorting out and tolerancing exponential decays is a trivial exercise, but Jim is bound to have some kind of gotcha up his sleeve.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

er

be

Michael Terrell's fertile imagination remains in robust good health - unlike the rest of him.

The nearest I got to encountering red-necks was when I was playing field hockey around Cambridge. We got to play some decidedly agricultural hockey teams, and my experience at coping with excessively physical hockey players (built up in Melbourne, when I played for the lower level university teams) stood me in good stead. I don't think that any of the opposing players suffered from involuntary release of urine, but they certainly experienced some unexpected discomforts, which my team found amusing.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

--
Bite marks on their penises?
Reply to

See! I told you Slowman wouldn't know the true meaning of Red Neck. ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

ever

ld be

Bizarre idea. Bruises on knees and ankles mostly - a filed-hockey player who is trying to hurt you gets close enough (in a predictable way) that you can "accidentally" adjust your back-swing to take advantage of their proximity, or - equally "accidentally" - end up standing on their feet.

What sort of sport did you play that exposed the male external genitialia to passing teeth? Water-polo is that only one that comes to mind - and that from occasional anecdotes rather than any kind of involvement or ever watching the game.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

--
So you _didn't_ get it...

Why am I not surprised?
Reply to
John Fields

Wrong. But, to be expected I suppose, when you rely solely on Wiki for information.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

What a poorly written article.

The origin _is_ coal mine strike breakers (Bluefield)... who all wore red bandanas, to identify who to "whack" and who to not :-)

Sounds like the article was written by someone at NPR, who keeps their job due to political correctness ;-) ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

Well, I know what a redneck school is, that has drivers ED!

On Monday, Wednesday and friday is drivers ED, only because on Tuesday and Thursday, the car is needed for the Sex education classes.

Have a good day..

Reply to
Jamie

al

he ever

would be

John Fields trying - and failing - to be clever.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

And the particulars were covered in a relatively recent episode on The History Channel...

...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

Bill Sloman, cleverly failing to try.
Reply to
John Fields

te:

real

if he ever

He would be

h -

d. I

tary

Not taking John Fields seriously doesn't take clever.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

What do you expect from someone who's 'Dead from the neck, up'?

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell