Open/Short Links request

Hello,

Does anyone know of any good links that explain "design of open/short detection" of lead bonds (of IC modules)?

What would be a good search criteria for google? I tried "open/short design detection", "fault detection design" but I have yet to find an article which focuses on its design.

I have my own idea of how to make a open/short detection cct, but its mostly derived from the theory section of the manual of [Exatron's Open/Short Tester]. It is a small section.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

-Roger

Reply to
Roger Bourne

Once you defined what a short or open is, then you're a giant leap further. Then you could define maximum measurement parameters in terms of voltage and current.

Rene

*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
http://www.SecureIX.com ***
Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

Hmmm, A short would be an unexpected low resistance between 2 nets/lead bonds.

But from a generic point of view, how does one built an automated cct to detect a SHORT ? A cct that would detect shorts for more or less ANY IC module.

Does one essentially mirror an ohmmeter's design (which is also completly unknown to me) and measure for impedance between all possible combination of 2 lead bonds? Impossible!

Any help will be appreciated

Regards,

-Roger

Reply to
Roger Bourne

Just define (being somewhat arbitrary)...

SHORT < 10ohms

OPEN > 1K

I once designed an alarm system that way, such that a median value was "good". A short or an open would trigger the alarm.

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Basically yes. There are different ways however. The blunt approach would be a voltage source with current limit while measuring the current. Define the voltage and the current limit sufficiently small such that no damage occurs.

Another approach would be a sinewave of sufficiently small frequency that generates a very low voltage, eg 10mV, and measures the current in a lock-in fashion across a burden resistor with a gain of 10^4 or so.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar