Offbeat microwave question

Do think this RG-402 made in China has the quality desired? $1.50 per foot.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

That's what I was wondering too. Better price than $300 for 50 feet of Belden 1673A from the distributor, assuming its performance is similar.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Can't help but join the who-does-the-brodaest-band bragging contest by mentioning the Athena+ detectors, which are square-law from dc to two-and-half million terahertz. Well, input match is less than phenomenal in some sections of the band. Joel Ullom does even broader a band, but he does not write to s.e.d....

Regards, Mikko

Reply to
reg

Yeah, but we were talking 200 THz _circuitry_, here.

(What's Finnish for "Yo' momma"?)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Quasi-optical, I suppose? What's wrong with Wolter optics?

What constitutes 'circuitry' is an interesting question, actually. I wonder how much microwave gadgetry could be reproduced with grazing-angle techniques? Phase relations would be tough to maintain. Still, I recall vaguely some bold plans to construct an interferometric X-ray telescope. It was supposedly going to be able to resolve surface patterns on Sirius.

" Äitis oli ", I guess. Fits well :)

Regards, Mikko

Reply to
reg

Nope. Real circuitry--waveguide-coupled metal antennas and travelling wave metal-insulator-metal tunnel junctions.

With how many years' integration time? The shot noise in a measurement like that would _not_ be pretty.

Good to know.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Wow, that looks pretty neat. That's way above the superconductive gap frequencies, so there's no way for me to even try to counter. You're the champ. I feel too tired now to figure out how you manage low-loss propagation at such high frequencies. Reminds me about the suggestion in the Kraus' old book on antennas about harvesting visible light with antennas and rectifiers.

Right. I haven't been following the subject, but a bit of digging revealed this...

...which sounds remotely familiar.

Regards, Mikko

Reply to
reg

Ah, the People's Republic of Irvine. Very nice place, as long as you like lots and lots of other people, and are not in a hurry to get anywhere!

Lived there for ten years before moving out to the desert. In Irvine, it took me about 20 minutes to get to Costco (about 2.5 miles.) Today, it take me about 20 minutes to get to Costco (25 miles!)

But, if you like High Suburban life, Irvine is a nice place. It has just about anything you might want close by...

Reply to
Charlie E.

Except restaurants that aren't part of a chain, or a used bookstore, or walking trails with trees, or anyplace that isn't covered in six inches of glitzy roofie plastic from China. (Or so it seems.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(Whose aversion to Orange County grows every time he visits the place.)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

OK, but it seems that even though it is close by, you can't get there from here. ...and I suppose if it isn't close by, you don't want it (or better not)? No thanks. You can have the whole state.

Reply to
krw

Oh, there are non-chain restaurants, as well as some small, local chain places. My favorite mexican place is Jalapeno's, a small family owned chain there. I am not sure about a used book store, been a while since I saw one anywhere! There are several walking trails, such as the one along the creek, that have trees, but they are also right outside someone's windows!

Have they ever opened the park yet? They took over the old El Toro airbase, and were supposed to build a park there...

Reply to
Charlie E.

Well, nothing wrong with Orange county that a few million people leaving wouldn't fix! ;-)

Reply to
Charlie E.

No, that's OK. They can stay there. You all can. Quarantine, as it were. ;-)

Reply to
krw