[O/T] what does it mean in another culture?

I'm currently dealing with a multi-national outfit's support staff who are located in Mumbai, India. Only after some email exchanges did I stop to ponder.

As a predominantly Hindu nation where cattle have deity status, how do they treat the term "bullshit" ?

Reply to
rebel

Thats sacred crap to them !!

Rheilly P

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

"rebel"

** Why not blind them with science and us the term

" bovine excreta " instead ??

..... Phi

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yeah why not, you could tell them it's latin.

Rheilly P

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

The ones that I have worked at a university with rarely find the need to swear or use the 7 other words. You will hear a rare Oh $hit if they forget they have a exam coming up, but more likely its damn directed to physical objects, not to people, and not as a offense to God., as in "damn these bad parts to hell" . I could argue that most of the indians were the calmest, lowest stress, lowest BP types of all the Grad students I worked with.Very few stressful things in life phased them. I dont think they know how to argue in English. But in Hindi, look out, the discussions got very animated.

Steve

Reply to
osr

You've never heard the term "holy shit" before?

{;-)

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering - JIm

Sounds a lot like Mike Quinn's Electronic Surplus Store.

. I could argue that most

The Indians I've worked with have often been brilliant analysts and mediocre designers. Maybe that's part of the culture of academic rigor and reverance for intellectual achievement but distain for physical labor.

John

That translates to 'Holy Cow!'

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

Agreed, they used to call me in for minor stuff other grads would do themselves, great theoreticians, but for the most part lousy at design, repair, and purchasing, They would watch with rapt attention and ask questions about my train of thought while I troubleshooted their systems, and if I designed a replacement card for them, oh hell, the design review and required documentation was a freaking doctoral board.

There was one notable exception. One guy I worked with had his ham ticket back in India, and built his own rigs, that he told me, was looked down upon, but he could keep up with me and rarely called me. It was a sad day for that research group when he graduated. It seems its hard to get discrete parts in India, and so he built his ham gear out of discarded TVs and AM radios.

Steve

But nice guys to work for

Reply to
osr

ponder.

Why don't you ask one of your Mumbaian support staff folks?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Lots of the electronics papers from India that I read when I was a graduate student were about one-transistor circuits; apparently few Indian universities could afford to buy two transistors back then.

At the time the Russians were still publishing valve circuits, but their mathematical analyses were even better.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman