Negative voltage from Transformerless Capacitive power supply

That works. But why the zener?

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | Gourmet Puzzles:

What part of the fish are the "sticks"?

Likewise where are the chicken "fingers" located?

BTW: Resistors in the emitters _dramatically_ increase output impedance.

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | Gourmet Puzzles:

What part of the fish are the "sticks"?

Likewise where are the chicken "fingers" located?

By Usenet rules, yes. By your ISP's policies and server setups, perhaps and likely, no.

Up to a 16kB binary attachment, uuencoded, can be added to any text post in any text group, however many ISPs are unaware of this and most news server default setting cull any binary posts made to non-binary groups.

Calling them up and trying to get them to change it doesn't help much either because most of them are 100% oblivious admin dopes that use boilerplate set-ups and wouldn't actually really know the first thing about the networks which they administer, much less things like the history of it, or acceptable policies of their use. All they know is the internal policy they use, and it is usually a boilerplate thing as well.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

You'll probably get a warning email from your ISP. You are supposed to keep it below 16kB, or kickbacks flood in to your ISP's server from other servers as it propagates out.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

In principle I suppose a group of people could decide on an alternative textual representation of a binary file, and use that. As a ridiculously inefficient proof of principle, allocate one word for each possible byte value.

"zero" "one" "two" "twohundredfiftyfive" etc :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

It already exists, and is already usually automatically implemented by your news client. It is called uuencoding.

It is a text replacement schema for binary files to be posted on a bulletin board or news server.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

I know about uuencode, but wouldn't that likely get filtered out (as you pointed out above I think). LTSpice files work here because they are "ASCII text", but also because the format is too obscure to be recognized as encoding anything.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Indeed. Servers which filter out "binary" posts typically filter out uuencoding, base64, BinHex, and yEncoding. If an alternative scheme became popular, that would get filtered out too.

Reply to
Nobody

They should just limit text messages to 250 lines, as well.

Michael A. Terrell

Then promoting top posting...

--
Thanks,
Fred.

What do you need to post in a text newsgroup that you can't say in

250 lines?
Michael A. Terrell

Only around 4:1 ;-)

And suffer the consequences of LVceo ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Gourmet Puzzles:

        What part of the fish are the "sticks"?

        Likewise where are the chicken "fingers" located?

Nothing, but it wasn't the point.

The point is that as messages would be trimmed to 250 lines, the bottom posted answers will quickly be dumped by the trimming daemon. Then most people will rather top post instead of bothering snipping off the messages.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just shoot top posters? They probably voted Democrat anyway ;-)

...Jim Thompson

     Liberals are so cute.  Dumb as a box of rocks, but cute.

alternative

ridiculously

byte

by

became

Too stupid to vote.

Michael A. Terrell

Or they would learn to trim the garbage and reply at the bottom, like they should.

Michael A. Terrell

alternative

ridiculously

byte

by

you

became

For Democrats, it isn't necessary for anyone to actually vote to win elections.

Reply to
krw