Need to design an AC load bank using HEXFETs

Hello,

I'm in the process of designing an AC load bank and I'd like to use a few paralleled HEXFET devices.

I need to load 120V 60Hz line at 5 amps for about 3 seconds. This is for testing the output of a AC power supply.

Would anyone care to share some circuit design tips or any ideas concerning connecting an N and a P channel device as my load?

My idea is to use an N channel device for to load the positive half cycle, and a P channel to load the negative half cycle in a totem pole configuration.

Thank you,

Randy

Reply to
Randy965

On a sunny day (Tue, 03 Mar 2009 06:54:36 -0600) it happened "Randy965" wrote in :

Use a brige rectifier and put the n-MOSFET with drain on + and source on -. And the AC on the ~ connections,.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Jan Panteltje wrote in news:goja1v$m82$ snipped-for-privacy@news.datemas.de:

or you could use a triac and a resistor (or light bulbs)

Reply to
me

And prehaps something to limit current to the requested five amps?

Reply to
PeterD

Why not use an ordinary SSR or mechanical relay?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Tue, 03 Mar 2009 09:01:47 -0500) it happened PeterD wrote in :

Sure :-) Small inductor, high PWM frequency? Old electric room heater?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

for

e,

Why not use a switch? Obamama will be happy you created an other job.

Reply to
panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 03 Mar 2009 06:54:36 -0600) it happened "Randy965" wrote in :

Ah, finally worked it out. Use a big capacitor, and a switch. You want only current, so the cap will give you 90 degrees phase shift. And the switch is to switch the cap on for 3 seconds. The value of the capacitor is, from I = U / R and Z = 1/ j.w.C, Z = U / I = 120 / 5 = 24 Ohm. C = 1 / j.w.Z = 1 / (6.28 x 60 x 24) = 1.1 10^-4 = 110 uF. Bipolar of course :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje