Need the topology for a current to current SMPS, not voltage to voltage SMPS

So, think neon sign transformer, though a bit less in voltage for whatever undisclosed purpose?

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

Excellent! Carry on then (As my ret. navy friend says.) George H.

Reply to
George Herold

current buck-boost converter.

+--+-FET--+--|
Reply to
Jasen Betts

I don't understand how you can get more current out of the inductor than it had when the switch opened.

Reply to
John S

Ask a politician, they can do that :-)

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

So, I should have studied politics rather than engineering. I guess Momma was right.

Reply to
John S

I don't understand the details of your application, but an ideal switcher with a fixed-power load has a negative input impedance, so will be unstable if driven by a constant-current source.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
 Click to see the full signature

If you and I had done that we'd be rich. But probably not too happy. If I were 18 again I'd veer towards a brewmaster's degree and keep EE as a hobby. No kidding.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It very hard to resist your true calling, I learned.

Reply to
John S

The problem is to figure out what your true calling is. Some people realize that late in life. For example, a top chemical scientist in our area who some day when he was well in his 50's quit his well-paying job at Monsanto and started a winery. He said he'd found his true calling. Or a sccessful surgeon who, late in his 50's, became a pilot (after an expensive trek through commercial pilot flight schooling) and hired on with an airline. His income probably went down by 10-15dB but he was happy.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Of course, Joerg. Not everyone has a calling at birth, graduation, or any other special time in his life. However, when it comes, it is very hard to resist. If you are enjoying your calling, how much happier can you be? (Let's not get into salary)

Reply to
John S

I'm confused. Why would anyone want to do anything but design electronics?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
 Click to see the full signature

It is unimaginable. It has been my calling since 1951. It will never let go.

Reply to
John S

You can't, that's why decreasing the on-time increses the current. That capacitor on the left that looks like it's doing nothing is actually essential, you turn on the switch briefly and the capacitor supplies the bulk of the current to wind the inductor up.

if you want to simulate this arrange the simulation to start with the switch closed.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

David Stare, MIT EE, Class of 1962 (my class), founded Dry Creek Winery. I believe his daughter now runs it. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I'd like to get into beer brewing some day. When I did that last time as a student in Germany I almost had more fun that when designing electronics (which I did a lot while studying for my masters). Nowadays, after designing the umpteenth switch mode converter that can get a bit old. It's only fun if there is something in the mix where people have said "it can't be done". That's when my fun level meter goes to 120%.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I can imagine that brewing the billionth barrel of beer wouldn't be as much fun as the first, either. Perhaps you have the hobby and business right, after all.

Reply to
krw

Do you have a simulation you can share with us?

Reply to
John S

Hobby brewers and even the small commercial micro brewers don't run a bland same old same old scheme. They come up with variants and try out new recipes all the time. Like the chef in a fancy restaurant that is not tied to a chain, I was told by several that such a job never gets old. It's just hard not to gain weight (same with brewing).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I think the same can be said for design engineers. I rarely design complicated systems with unit logic anymore. ;-)

Reply to
krw