Multimeter recommendation

I decided its time to get another multimeter. Maybe two. The problem is that there are so many out there that I'm a bit lost. What I want is:

- at least 4.5 digits

- preferably LED, VFD or backlit display with a wide viewing angle.

- current measuring range at least 10A

- mains powered. I'm fed-up with changing batteries.

- cheap (Ebay)

I have an HP 3466A which matches all of the above except for measuring current.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I like the Thurlby-Thandar 1906 5.5 digit multimeter. It does cost 584 euro new from Farnell, but you get a lot of bang for your buck.

There's one on sale on e-bay at the moment for 200 UK pounds, including the optional GPIB interface.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I purchased a BK 5492 bench DMM on Ebay last year for good price.

15A VFD 5.5 Digit Perhaps look for bench DMMs by B&K Precision.

I got sick of using a battery DMM for several reasons.

*Hated spinning a clack clack clack dial. *I have bright lights and the LCD display was hard to see. *The meter never had a home and keep floating around on the bench. So less order. *I needed more precision.
Reply to
D from BC

This does everything you asked for

This might. It is cheaper. The display is LCD but is not TFT (OK in bright light)

Reply to
David Eather

That is a nice one. I also found it on Ebay. It does have a backlight according to the manual. I think I'll buy this one.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

multimeters_p460.html

multimeter_p3900.html

Here are some more choices.

asdf

I have an UNrecommendation.

The Radio Shack 43 range multimeter.

I had an older one fail after what should have been a minor and low energy glitch.

The first store replacement had the same symptoms. A second replacement from a different store did likewise.

The first store replacement came back in six weeks. I have yet to test it.

The neat feature about these is their electrostatic line tracing.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

Not particularly cheap, but the Agilent 34410A is pretty nice. Ethernet interface as well as GPIB.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

.

one:(928)428-4073begin_of_the_skype_highlighting=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0= =A0=A0=A0(928)428-4073=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0

I just ordered one of these meters, thanks for recommending. The postage charge is more than the item, but still good value. Meter is cheaper than a battery tester in the UK!

Lyn

Lyn

I ended up ordering this one:

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)