MP3 Encoding and Decoding IC suggestions

I want to add MP3 encoding and decoding to an existing instrument (8- bit microcontroller-based) so we can play audio samples obtained either in the filed or else distributed on SD cards. Can anyone suggest a low-cost IC that includes integrated record, playback and SD access functions?

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

"J.A. Legris" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Look into the SOCs used in typical MP3 players. Depending, you may be able replace you current micro and use the SOC, or interface the two with a serial bus.

Reply to
Gary Tait

innews: snipped-for-privacy@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Are you familiar with the following products? I'm wondering if they are widely used.

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

Atmel offers a couple 8051 derivatives that support MP3, local play & record, and removable memory. Not exactly what you're looking for if you're wanting to keep your existing processor.

Go here:

Also, Winbond has several proprietary record/playback solutions, but none that support removable flash memory. At least, not last time I checked. Good luck. -mpm

Reply to
mpm

how long is the recordings?

how offen will you replace the records.

Joseph

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

The recordings are up to 30 minutes in length and they could be replaced qute frequently. The user might be swapping SD cards from a library of sounds, or recording new sounds at any time.

The Atmel processors suggested by mpm above are just about perfect except they have no MP-3 encoding, just decoding. I may have to use a DSP with some licensed software (yuck!). Maybe I can make an unlicenced encoder using an op-amp, a decoder and a genetic algorithm ;-)

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

Are you sure about that?? I'm almost positive their development board supports recording functions.... Maybe they're not doing that with the processor, but I thought they were..?

Take another look at this Atmel reference design. It clears says "voice recording/playing"

-mpm

Can you email me offline with your application? We do something similar here, and if our markets or products don't overlap, I'd be happy to tell you how you can solve this whole thing from China. For low dollars, right off the shelf.

Reply to
mpm

Sorry, I can't divulge any secrets just yet ;-)

I don't see any evidence of MP-3 encoding on any of the above Atmel devices, but they do mention making .wav files:

If I'm stuck I may resort to using .wav files instead of MP-3.

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris