Motor question

A microwave oven has 3 connections to the fan motor winding, but afaik only does one single speed. I'm contemplating reusing the motor, and havent seen a nuke fan like this before. Any ideas what the 3rd connection's for?

NT

Reply to
NT

Connection to the auxiliary winding of a split phase motor? If correct, then there should also be a motor capacitor some place. It generates the necessary phase shift on the auxiliary winding. Without it the motor won't start, because the average starting torque of the single phase motor is zero.

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Bahner

A guess. Perhaps they are also using the motor as an autotransformer to provide low(er) voltage AC for something? Chase the wires and see what they are connected to. Art

Reply to
Artemus

In one I dassasembled last year it was a 21V tap for the turntable motor, they use the fan motor winding as an autotransformer. I assume it was a 21V tap, that was the voltage printed on the turntable gearmotor, they could be running it out of spec.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Thanks everyone, I bet that's what it is.

NT

Reply to
NT