modeling trafo

I'm trying to find the quickest way to account for saturation of a transformer in LTSpice.

The reason I need to include saturation in the model is because it's a blocking oscillator.

There's a nonlinear transformer model in the library at the yahoo group (the Chen model), but it includes a couple of parameters related to the hysteresis loop.

I don't know what I would use for the hysteresis parameters and would like not to have to use those extra parameters, if at all possible. No B-H loop, just a transformer that can saturate, but has no hysteresis.

There's an "arbitrary inductor" model that takes saturation into account while ignoring hysteresis. If I could use this model in a transformer by simply coupling two inductors it would make my life easy, because I have the volt-seconds figure for the trafo I intend to use.

This wiki shows the inductor model:

So I tried putting two arbitrary inductors in my schematic and coupling them. LTSpice tells me I can't use coupling with arbitrary inductors. Same result when I try to couple an arbitrary inductor with an ideal inductor.

So I'm still at square one. Do I have to use the Chen model, or is there an easier way to do this?

Reply to
Michael Robinson

looked at this? :

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Look in folder LTC\LTspiceIV\examples\Educational for NonLinearTransformer.asc

See if that will help you.

Cheers, John

Reply to
John KD5YI

That's good. It says you can model a transformer that saturates by shorting the input of an ideal transformer with an inductor that saturates.

Reply to
Michael Robinson

Yes, it seems so. Does that mean that the example is useless?

Reply to
John KD5YI

I ran the model and looked at the current into the magnetic device. It looks like a classical saturating magnetic device.

Am I missing something?

Reply to
John KD5YI

up

unt

by

ave

ng

tor.

ere

horting

LT wiki has a good page on using the Chan model with multiple winding. You make a non-linear model of the core, then use fairly simple sub circuits to put windings on it.

Cheers,

Fred

Reply to
Fred