Minimum Humidity for long term storage of computer equipment?

Is there a minimum level of relative humidity, below which computer equipment is damaged?

I bought some antique handheld computers. I want to keep them in pristine condition for a very long time, fifty years or more. I want to know the ideal environmental conditions to store these computers. I am probably going to store these in a bank vault. I can greatly reduce the relative humidity using a commercial desiccant such as drierite.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Peter Olcott

Is the bank vault hermetically sealed? Or your packaging? If not, long term, they will return to ambient conditions.

...Jim Thompson

         Old Latin teachers never die...they just decline

My vacuum packaging is hermetically sealed.

Reply to
Peter Olcott

"Peter Olcott" wrote in news:rYb1g.3545$8q.45@dukeread08:

If you have vaccuum packaging, isn't humidity irrelevant? And, what about dry nitrogen? For those time scales, you'll want to remove oxygen, not just water vapour. Vacuum isn't a good idea, as you'll lose plasticisers and other chemicals that prolong the life of capacitors, and maybe have hazards that can cause bother in other people's space, but if you have a hermetic seal with the volume filled with dry nitrogen at atmospheric pressure, you can't go far wrong, as far as I know.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

It is nothing like a prefect vacuum, I am only using a foodsaver meat packaging machine. The idea is to make the package fit tightly, removing all the excess air

What about reducing the relative humidity to zero?

I can't go to this extreme, what is the next cheaper option?

Reply to
Peter Olcott

If you cant go to a gas refill station and get some nitrogen, next best thing would maybe be get the small co2 cylinders like used for paintball, and purge the containers with co2 gas. It will drive out all the oxygen, which is what causes rust with water vapor. Also use the desecant to absorb any remaining moisture.

Still nitrogen is best! Jtt

Reply to
James Thompson

about

hermetic

absorb

No. Argon is best. Non-nutritive to all known forms of life, can't say the same about nitrogen. not all that more expensive either. BTW ultra low humidity has ESD issues; you must tradeoff between ESD and H2O amplified corrosion.

--
JosephKK
--Schiller

I have the units in a thick plastic container with desiccant. Is there any way that ESD can get into the container from outside it? Would it be better if I placed the units in anti-static bags first?

Reply to
Peter Olcott

It would certainly do no harm. If it were me, I'd wrap them in aluminum foil.

See, the ESD doesn't "get into" the box - the friction between the equipment and the box itself can generate static.

Or, we could just keep discussing it for the next 50 years, and the problem will have gone away. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The units have a hard plastic case, and have rubber feet. Can these cause static electricity if rubbed together in the box? Will aluminum foil protect them from static electricity?

Reply to
Peter Olcott

static

from

If the antistatic bag or aluminum foil is the inside layer static is pretty well not a problem. Layers outside of them will not have much effect on the devices so stored.

--
JosephKK
--Schiller