Minimum hfe

ll be built from random electronic scrap. There's a darlington pair class A stage where I need to know the minimum hfe we can count on with 95% confid ence. The darlington pair consists of a small random npn followed by a 2nd tr that must dissipate 1w in hot weather with a small crude heatsink. We ca n eliminate high voltage trs from the picture.

il as it can. Peak tr current is anything upto 1A.

uggling to answer that question.

).

IME its the high voltage ones that get that grim on hfe - does the same pro blem apply to some low v ones too? We can eliminate hi v power trs from thi s. Probably.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

,

I've installed on this runs.

OK which linux distribution and which version?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Use AC bias. It is only audio, so just make a 30 kHz oscillator and bias it ike they used to bias tape. this removes alot of vaiables, and if you give it just a little bit of inductance on the output lik=ne, will be very forgiving on devoce parameters.

Think soft.

Oh, and if Thinksoft hasn't been used for a name yet and you use it you better take care of me or I am comning over there with my gun....

LOL

Reply to
jurb6006

it like they used to bias magnetic tape. This moots alot of vaiables, and i f you give it just a little bit of inductance on the output line, will be v ery forgiving on devce parameter variations. Think soft. Oh, and if Thinkso ft hasn't been used for a name yet and you use it you better take care of m e or I am coming over there with my gun.... LOL

Reply to
jurb6006

goes good in debian (tested upto debian 7.5)

if you have a 64 bit debian heed the the message when you try to run wine and install the stuff it requests.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

Prolly makes no difference on voltage rating of the power transistor; besides you _did_ say "random".

Reply to
Robert Baer

Pray tell, what the heck does AC bias have to do with the price of rice in China?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Its Avlinux 6.0.1, debian based. But its faulty somehow, won't run anything I install.

Yesterday I tried to get PC no2 running it, but other problems there. Currently working on an old laptop that's sat unused for years, hopefully that will do it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It fluctuates Peak to Peak?

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

OK fixed an ancient laptop running 98 and got LTspice on it. Will post the schematic when its finished. Trouble is, the thing won't sim! It goes thru its calculations for however long, but doesn't plot anything on the graph, its just a black black area with axes. :/ What is it with computers!

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Did you click on the node of interest?

Reply to
John S

rice in China? "

If it is for audio, the design can be made tolerant of alotmore variance of specs of the transistors.

Unless you want to run pure class B.

Reply to
jurb6006

be built from random electronic scrap. There's a darlington pair class A s tage where I need to know the minimum hfe we can count on with 95% confiden ce. The darlington pair consists of a small random npn followed by a 2nd tr that must dissipate 1w in hot weather with a small crude heatsink. We can eliminate high voltage trs from the picture.

as it can. Peak tr current is anything upto 1A.

gling to answer that question.

OK, good news. Circuit first:

+----+---------+---o +5v | | | | LS 8R | | | | +------ ( ---+ | | | | _|_ R1 1k | | ___ C2 2000 uF | _|c | |

-------| |-----+-----(_) | | Cin | |e _|c | in 3.3u R2 1k2 +--(_) Tr2 | | |e |

---------------+------------+---------+---o 0v

Spice reckons it works nicely. Quiescent output voltage (bottom of loudspea ker) is 2.8v, which will drop a bit as tr2 gets hot.

Just one thing I'm not following. Spice says it has a V gain of over 6 - I' d expect far less given R1&2. Why so much gain?

Maybe I can answer the question. The signal source is much lower impedance than the feedback/bias resistors, so it rules. It would explain the visible nonlinearity. Adding 47R in series with signal input gives better linearit y.

Much thanks to everyone for raising potential issues. I'll build it IRL whe n I can, check it works sufficiently well in the real world.

Its crude but it works :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Z = Sqrt(XL^ + 47^) That would be the two components, not the over all Z input.

If you run an AC analyst on it with a signal input and set the sweep 20 to 20Khz you can get the phase error and response across the spectrum.

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

If you've the resources to recover scrap, you've got the resources to sort the scrap by gain....

RL

Reply to
legg

........and pin-out.....

RL

Reply to
legg

I have heard of peak oil, but never about peak rice...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Many a time it is the operator...

Reply to
Robert Baer

There's nothing but scrap. Maybe one could built a meter using LEDs but why make life hard if its not needed? Time is not in generous supply, people work long hours for food.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

ias it ike they used to bias tape. this removes alot of vaiables, and if yo u give it just a little bit of inductance on the output lik=ne, will be v ery forgiving on devoce parameters.

Heard of peak dung? :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222