Millermatic 210 can I install an AMP Meter

I recently purcahsed a Millermatic 210 I want to install an Amp Meter Does anyone know how I can do this? Thanks

Reply to
rdporter

Normally you calibrate amps on a welder using a clamp-on DC ammeter, and after that you rely on the (calibrated) amp scale. Given that the Millermatics don't allow you to directly set amps, rather volts and wire speed, this may not get you where you want to go.

Be very careful if you do install an ammeter. It would have to be a very rugged one indeed to withstand the surges associated with welding.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

He needs a shunt resistor and meter.

Reply to
buffalo

That's a good idea. He can also play with the resistor added to the meter, to get the proper reading. The only benefit of a DC shunt meter is that it is less sensitive to the temperature of the conductor.

He can combine your idea of having a mA meter, with using a real shunt, which are not very expensive.

Myself, for a little different purpose (telling a microcontroller what the current is), I bought a current transducer like this:

I recently bought just such a transducer from them. They are very good guys.

Ignoramus14259

He could get a millamp meter and tap the negative or positive buss bar in two places.That would give you a relative reading. by moving the tap along the bar you could calibrate it to a clampon ammeter or use a fixed load resistor and voltmeter across it and ohms law to compute the amperage draw.

John

Reply to
John

What uc are you working with, Iggy?

I use the 8051 family mostly and used to work with the Motorola microprocessors. I like the flash fam. of the 89cxxxx.

buffalo

Reply to
buffalo

[xposted to s.e.d.]

I chose, rightly or wrongly, something called Cubloc CuSB-22R.

It is a BASIC based processor, with output relays, inputs, PWM, etc.

I have almost finished making the control board and panel. I am mostly done with programming, reading inputs, turning relays on and off etc.

Control panel is very spartan for a very simple reason, the microcontroller is able to figure things out like preflow time etc. I will add a keypad soon, to do fancy stuff like pulsing control etc. (mostly because I do not have enough inputs for those things)

Pictures of it on the bench are here:

Ignoramus14259