I have skipped around Google, now to ask the experts.
To make use of salvaged microwave transformers, how can one stop or lessen the heating effect of the core. I have cut out the secondary winding and the magnetron heater windings as well as remove the magnetic shunts. I have even added about 4 turns to the primary (#14 gauge copper). Still with no load on secondary (with is #12 copper after rewind), it still gets warm to the touch. Would I need to also cut out the welds on the core to lessen the eddy currents? I wound the secondary till I get 20 volts out with a load of 1 amp, 21.8 with no load. Anyway, what else might I try to calm the eddies so it runs cooler?