Microsoft's Bing is a powerful search engine

On Jun 4, 1:30=A0am, The Real Andy wrote: [..]

Only if the new one is enough better to make it worth the effort will the effort be made. If you feed "microsoft bugs" into each, Bing gets more results but that appears to be only because it includes lots of things without the exact phrase.

It appears to do this with "linux installs" too so it is not a proof of bias.

Reply to
MooseFET

On a sunny day (Thu, 4 Jun 2009 06:15:35 -0700 (PDT)) it happened MooseFET wrote in :

Nice idea, but, as the 'web' is a moving target, there is little possibility to extrapolate. If you write basic html, and it displays OK in every browser, then there is little to worry about. If however your site is 'web 2' and loaded with frames, Flash stuff, what not, then you may have to rewrite it anyways when time comes..... New version of Flash, new movie formats... etc etc. So 'validator' I validate as crap.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The problem is the browswers don't conform to the standards, especially CSS. I thought Firefox was a bit goofy, but IE is really out in left field. Of course, one always expects M$ to make up their own rules when it comes to Internet standards.

Reply to
qrk

Matters to whom?

It doesn't appear to matter very much to Microsoft, with the end result that it doesn't matter very much to most users.

The end result is that everyone expects web applications to output pages in "the language which (some version of) IE understands" (as opposed to HTML), in spite of the fact that "the language which IE understands" isn't documented anywhere.

It's all rather like trying to interface to a chip when all you have are a bunch of example circuits but no actual datasheet.

Reply to
Nobody

What 'source code'? It was written in pure HTML in wordpad. A single CSS is to set color and text style for the entire website, along with a javascript to protect the email address. It worked with four versions of I.E., two old Netscape browsers, two newer versions, Firefox, and now Seamonkey with no changes, yet the W3 crap fails a few pages.

Michael A. Terrell

I was making an analogy. It is like you fixed warnings in your source code, screwed something else up in the process and then blamed the warnings

Reply to
MooseFET

No, I made it work for as many people as possible. it gave errors, or refused to work on every browser I tried, when it complied. I consider W3 compliance to be one of those lousy circuits on a datasheet, (This circuit might work, but we can't be bothered to test it before it goes to press so use it at your own risk!).

I need to install Chrome and test my websites with it.

Michael A. Terrell

The w3c don't know what they hell they are doing. I fed it a page I was working on and got 18 errors, all in a link to a page on another website. Make ANY of their changes, and you can't access that web page.

I opened that page in sweb, (the HTML editor) in Open Office 3. It changed the entire page layout, and made the new version not only look like crap, but it removed several links.

is not recognized, yet Netscape used it on a lot of versions of the 'Composer' part of Netscape browsers.

It appears that 'the

validator' pukes on anything that wasn't written by software so new it hasn't been released. A few times i fixed everything it complained about and the fully compliant website didn't work with ANY browser I tested it with.

As far as Bing, the old MS maps is more up to date on Sat images than Google or Yahoo. They both show at least year old images of the VA hospital in Gainesville, Fl. All are six months out of date, but Bing does show the ground prep for the new patient tower.

Michael A. Terrell

no, they don't know what the hell you are doing. their validator can't read peoples minds all it can do is check it's input against its opinion of the documented standards (I have not seen any evidence that its opinion contradficts the standards in any place) because of this failing at mind-reading it often makes silly suggestions. when I use it I only look at the errors

if a "corrected" page does not work it has been corrected incorrectly.

huh? which page.

looks screwy to me.

try this:

getting it right is harmless.