Measuring magnetic field

I don't know why you are interested in the DC magnetic field strength when your application (sustaining an oscillating piano string) involves AC signals. Especially at the higher frequencies, the AC impedance may become significant.

-Robert Scott Ypsilanti, Michigan

Reply to
Robert Scott

This is interesting, John. Do you think that I might be able to use PCB-mount axial chokes (look like little green resistors) as my coils? Or will ferrite cores give me much pull? Maybe some other standard (cheap) inductor?

Don Kansas City

Reply to
eromlignod

I just took a look at Digi-Key, and they have some reed relays for $1.19 in 100's. So I'm sure you can get coils cheap, now just look for some long E-cores, like Spehro suggested, and you might be done!

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I doubt it. You need a form that has the core extending out to the edge of the coil, so it is close to the string. Something like these might work:

Especially if you cut he shrink tubing off. However supporting an axial version like these may be easier:

John Popelish

"eromlignod" wrote in news:1121877843.165642.68820 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

(snip)

How much influence does a magnetic field have on an (iron/steel) object? One way to measure the field strength would be to suspend an iron weight on a string. The deflection from vertical would give the force (do some simple vector analysis).

Reply to
Dan Major