measurement problem

I made a measurement using signal generator 33220A and AC level meter

34410A.

I generated 150 kHz/0 dBm with 600 ohms load setting. Then I tried to measure with a level meter and there the meter reads 10 dBm!

Could anybody explain how it happens and how to solve it! I have already checked with different terminations and load settings but the results remains the same.

Will there be any reason apart from being a defective meter?

Best Regards

ref:

Myauk

log(600/50) = 10.8 ..hmm..

--
 - Blarp the Enigmatic
Reply to

:)

I think I found the reason, I also need to set the reference load resistance value for math calculation of dBm in AC Level Meter, see on page 69:

dBm Measurements The dBm operation calculates the power delivered to a resistance referenced to 1 milliwatt. dBm =3D 10 =B4 Log10 ( reading2 / reference resistance / 1 mW ) Applies to dc voltage and ac voltage measurements only. =B7 You can choose from 17 different reference resistance values. The factory setting for the reference resistance is 600W. The choices are: 50, 75, 93, 110, 124, 125, 135, 150, 250, 300, 500,

600, 800, 900, 1000, 1200, or 8000 ohms. =B7 The reference resistance is stored in non-volatile memory, and does not change when power has been off or after a remote interface reset. =B7 Front-Panel Operation: After enabling dBm, you can select a new reference resistance by pressing Shift > (Menu Recall). Turning on the menu does not disable the dBm operation; the multimeter will resume taking measurements when you turn off the menu. 4: dBm REF R (MATH MENU)

It is not a big issue but sometimes the multimeters having many options makes me quite confused. It is the kind of task that I have never worked on before. However I enjoy working here in this new job as I have to deal with those small little akward practical problems and I believe I will get used to it with time.

Regards

Reply to
Myauk

"reference resistance is 600 WATTS"???????

Reply to
Robert Baer

It's a cut and paste problem, if you look at the original doc, p41, it does use the omega symbol, which seems to get transmogrified to a W

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Have you tried looking at the signals with a 'scope? George

Reply to
George Herold

ref:

Now it is all solved. It is just a kind of adjustment problem. The signal generator output should be adjusted for 600 ohms termination, and the ac level meter should also be measuring accross a 600 ohms termination.At the same time the dBm calculation should be based on 600 ohms load. This solve the whole mismatch problem.

Thanks for suggestions and discussions

Regards

Reply to
Myauk