Maybe Charge

A new electronic product will be sensing a Lithium battery while it charges to make a thermal shutdown available. It costs $4 to make. Sell for $14. A ny smart phone can sit on the "Maybe Charge" and if its Lithium battery get s too hot, a Silicon chip comes to the rescue. The socket cuts off the powe r to the charger if it exceeds a temperature of 454 Fahrenheit. Then you ca n feel you did your very best for safety.

Please recommend a $4 electronic design solution. Maybe two components, or ten.

Reply to
omnilobe

I chose the BQ24070 for an example in AoE, the x-Chapters. It handles the device power from charger or battery, and it charges with a standard temperature-limit shutoff. It's $1.30 qty 1k. I added an LTC3534 buck-boost for a fixed 3.3V 1A output. This LTC part is more expensive.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Hi, Win,

Just because I miss having an excuse to bug you, any ETA for Magnum Opus X?

(I sort of got used to it from 1989 to 2015.) ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

es to make a thermal shutdown available. It costs $4 to make. Sell for $14. Any smart phone can sit on the "Maybe Charge" and if its Lithium battery g ets too hot, a Silicon chip comes to the rescue. The socket cuts off the po wer to the charger if it exceeds a temperature of 454 Fahrenheit. Then you can feel you did your very best for safety.

454F? For the outside of the case to hit 454F what is the battery, 600F?

r ten.

A solder wire link would melt at your chosen temp, but you're surely not be ing serious.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

How about a thermal cut-out? about a buck retail for single-use ones.

Jasen Betts