DIY PCB toner transfer

I don't make my own PCBs, but something I've not seen mentionned in the laser toner transfer technique is that the paper backing for adhesive labels is perfectly calandered (ie smooth) and will gladly release the toner with just a bit of heat. The bonus is that this type of paper is free. Just look out for the lines where the die-cutting blades cut. Basically you just print on the smooth side and there you go.

I've used Corporate Express EXP00716 labels and made a test etching for a mixer board. I think it went fairly well, but I never soldered to it. (I just plop the parts right on the mixer, it works)

I believe the idea is that this paper won't grab to the toner preferentially to the rougher copper surface.

Anyways I just thought I'd toss that out there. Do with it what you will.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Neat...Might try someday.. On that topic.. If you're experimenting with spray coatings on laser transparency film, please post the results. It's related to my post entitled "pirated press n peel"..

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

This works great! I always used the photo methode but this is so easy with very good results. 0.3mm tracks are no problem. Look here how to do it:

Or google for 'toner transfer'. I use 170 gr. photo paper with a laserprinter. You can also make a silk screen the same way (only black) which make it even more professional.

SFC

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
SFC

I've used label backing for other iron-on projects and found it works well.

IIRC Avery make one with a full-page sized label (so no cutting lines)

And it's reusable.

You can run the paper through multiple times for extra darkness if you're careful with registration.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen