Mains voltage zero crossing detector with optical isolated output

--
I wasn't asking about Jim, I was asking about you.

You really should pay more attention to the details.
Reply to
John Fields

And I didn't screw up, Larkin is too dense to understand... or at least pretends so.

On the one hand he pronounces how he uses parts above spec. Yet he, from ignorance of how an LM339 actually works, derides me for using it quite safely.

His "charge spraying" clearly demonstrates his ignorance.

But he'll spew and spew and spew.

Is he impressing anyone besides Ian Field?

Lurkers please respond Yea or Nay. Inquiring minds want to know ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Both of those questions are serious technical issues. You can't answer either of them.

You are thinking with your ego, and not your reason, so you keep messing up. Insults are no substitute for getting the circuit right.

You're obviously good at linear IC design, but you screw up with board-level stuff. You haven't posted a complete circuit that works.

Me? I posted a nice isolated zero-crossing circuit that needs TWO parts, three if you add John S's phase compensation. I know it works.

Why don't you have a go at it? Design an original zero-cross circuit, and we'll discuss it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Bwahahahahahahahahaha-------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It straddles the zero-crossing.

Subterfuge, subterfuge, flail, flail, flail.

Wonder how many times I have to poke you in the head before you blow a gasket ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

Are you now claiming that it doesn't work? This will be fun.

It doesn't "straddle", it outputs a square wave that lags the AC sine wave by a few hundred microseconds, less if you burn a little more line power... still less power than your non-functional circuit needs. And one additional capacitor centers the timing nicely, which gets us up to THREE parts.

WTF are you talking about? My circuit worked as posted. Yours had many mistakes and still isn't done. Finish it.

Quit squawking and post a complete, working zcd circuit, if you can.

John

Yes, of course you.
Reply to
John Fields

Larkin is like a Democrat... eliminate discussion by slamming down derision after derision after derision. ...Jim Thompson

Well, most of the semi people like to hide gotchas in footnotes, or in application examples, or just not mention them at all. But I was a lot younger and less careful, 30 or whatever years ago, when I first got bit by the LM339 bug. Sounds like they never tried to fix it. The National temperature sensors, LM45 and such, have it even worse.

As expected. You're the clucking my-o-my village gossip who doesn't design electronics.

Asking someone to design a circuit is derision? Well, in the case of JF, I suppose that you're right, it is.

You're like a liberal, you keep doing things that don't work.

Disagree? Answer my two questions. Fix your circuit. Post something that will work. Or keep cackling.

"Too many parts", but cheap, using a single LM339...

http:/

300ns accuracy _without_ any tweaks, stable over temperature, no critical components, no fudging, no crap, but derision after derision after derision will follow.

But I don't care... look how I've rattled his "majesty" ;-)

And: Be sure to ignore anything he has to say about LM339's. I used them (and LM324's) by the bucket-load at GenRad without a failure.

Larkin doesn't understand how an LM339 works, so he'll bitch from the datasheet.

Enjoy the bitching :-)

(Then ask Leroy Long how it works :-) ...Jim Thompson

There certainly is a dearth of role models in this particular newsgroup. I wouldn't send my kid here in search of information, insight or wisdom.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

Oh, so you're the one to blame for that GenRad equipment we retired..

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

LOL!!

Don't worry, give him enough time, he'll adopt his own bad habits and sound like the rest of them here!

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

If my kid behaves in public (or in private, for that matter) like many of the people on this newsgroup, then I will have failed as a parent. C'mon, how about we start with three ground rules:

1) Treat people the way you want to be treated.

2) Attack positions, not people.

3) Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

I think Tim Westcott's reply on RS-485 grounding was well written wrt these rules.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

We have a problem here with a prima donna who abusively finds fault with everyone except his sycophants. And he's ignorant to boot.

Sort of like that abusive gambler in "Tombstone", our prima donna will eventually get tossed rather ignominiously on his ass, and we can then resume discussing circuits on their real, rather than ignorantly perceived, merits.

But I'm not holding my breath. ...Jim Thompson

Reminds me of an industrial group counseling session I attended/organized some years ago. We all agreed that the situation would be greatly improved if we just fired two people. Our unified stance fell apart when we tried to figure out who those two people were. So you (and a bunch of others) could be a sinner or a saint, but we can't tell because you're in the middle of a pig-wrestling match, and you know what they say about the wisdom of doing that.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

Sort of OT: In a counseling session for managers at GenRad about sexual harassment, I opined, "I keep hoping, but it never happens".

It was NOT well received by the moderator ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Larkin, How about putting some values to that "simple RC phase lead thing" so we can check your "design", and see how you eliminate that _400us_ lag.

None of your usual hand-waving. Show us a schematic with values please.

Try it yourself folks... Larkin just slipped you another POS ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Location, location, location, as the real estate people say. Besides, sexual harassment is, by definition, unwanted, so what you were hoping to receive probably wasn't harassment.

Reply to
Ralph Barone