Mains 3-phase wiring question

In a print shop, the service entrance equipment has three 125A breakers. These feed three 120/208 breaker panels. There is a fourth space in the SE panel for another breaker.

We have need to power one new printing press which draws just under 150A. If the total load calculations work out, is there any reason we couldn't use a suitable-sized breaker in the SE panel to supply this one load rather than install another 120/208 breaker panel?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Cook

It depends upon what the SE panel is rated for. Yes the Panels them selves have ratings for the bus bars. Obviously your running 375A so far. Is it a 400A panel or .... If you pop the cover you should see a tag inside as to what the rating is. Be careful you got Niagara Falls behind that panel ;)

Martin Riddle

It strikes me that this is not a do it yourself project. What is the size of your service? You need to contact your power company to find ot what they are delivering to the premies. How will they react to such an unbalanced load? If you have to ask this question, you should farm out the job.

--

Sam

Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.
Reply to
Salmon Egg

You didn't say how much current you are being supplied. If your SE can handle the extra breaker with safety margin then you may be fine. I agree about seeking a licensed electrician.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Ask your insurance company.

Reply to
John S

Thanks Tom and others for your comments.

Yes, we will consult with an electrician or the Utility to avoid any assumptions before we do the work.

Cheers!

Reply to
Mike Cook

Insurance is OK with anything within NEC.

Reply to
Mike Cook