John

t to

my

=A0(My

of

odox

he

ings

OK, as the PD gets more voltage across it you get the C(V) of the PD.. but you cna stay away from the worst of that. Say 10V of variation acorss the PD, and 10pf pF of C? that's 1x10^-10 coulombs... 10^9 electrons. How many photons in each laser pulse?

Taking a derivative is going to make it noisier... More gain at higer frequency.

Yeah, I'm not knowledgable enough to judge. All the circuits I do are dead simple.

Thanks for the explanation.

And do keep posting your circits... silly and otherwise. (I liked the linear ramp, I copied into the back of my notebook with name and date.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Well since your Docter won't, there's your virtual lancing.

Reply to
JW

[snip]

Please watch your spelling. I had to create a new filter for "AlwayWrong" ;- ...Jim Thompson

George,

Did you ever try this out?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

a PWM

e out

de

orry

.)

st

ped

the

shot

RC

as two

re

ers

in

ea

he

is

t- Hide quoted text -

No, (sigh). Just no time at the present. The circumstantial evidence is that it will still show full shot noise. (I didn=92t see any difference in the shot noise between the masked PD and unmasked... at say the 1% -2 % level. ) But it=92s hard to know how much of the light gets absorbed at the edge. I didn=92t try shinning light just at the edge.

If I don=92t get to it, it will be in the manual (I=92ve got to explain the slow bit of the step response.) And perhaps a student somewhere will be motivated to try.

I=92m a bit disappointed in OSI. After a telephone contact, I sent emails with schematics and data. Then a follow-up with the edge effect =91discovery=92. And not one peep out of them.

Is there some reason you would be interested in the result?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

My third edition.