Lead Free Soldering Iron

My bad. I meant 330 deg C. 370C is way too much. You'll burn the flux before it can do it's work. Use a bigger tip.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

"Nico Coesel"

** That is too low.

** Absolute bullshit - it is barely enough.

Even the makers of Pb free solder recommend more like 400C.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I happily use 400C (750F) with normal RMA and RA flux PbSn solder. For small stuff, e.g. SMT rework, 650F is good enough, and the tips stay cleaner.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Lead free is higher temp.

We are currently dealing with a problem where a simple ground turret pin in causing a solderability issue because it soaks up every microgram (read calorie) of heat you put into it and will not wet the solder joint correctly. We cannot attach the wire before installation either as the pin is almost the same size as the threads.

We have to heat up the entire case and use two irons to get the reflow characteristic that a proper solder joint requires.

We are RoHS exempt, but if we want a higher likelihood of euro customers, we build RoHS in anyway.

So we cannot do anything with that case until that wire gets attached. Can't change it either as it is a mil contract.

Reply to
SoothSayer

I use a WTCPT weller with tips that stay at one temp. (700 F for small stuff and a bigger 800F tip for big stuff... like connectors onto copper clad.) My biggest issue with Rohs is not the tmperature, but the flux! Make sure you follow the cleaning instructions. (And as someone said, talk to one of the good techs.) (I mostly stick with tin/lead and rosin flux.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

"helpfull"!!??

For what they charge for 'em, they shoulda sent a naked woman out to personally hand you a brand new replacement, then provide a free (cough) massage.

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you!  I got mine."

If you use tips which are too small it is. But at 330C while using a proper sized tip I get shiny lead free joints.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Which unleaded solder composition?

Alloy Melting Temp SnPb 183C SnBi 138C SnAgCuBi 215C SnAgCu 218C SnAg 221C SnAgCuSb 222C SnCu 227C SnSb 240C AuSn 280C

For lead free solders, the EMPF found that the solder tip temperature needed to be set between 343°C / 650°F and 371°C / 700°F as opposed to 315°C / 599°F for tin lead solders.

Temperatures higher than 398°C / 750°F were considered unnecessary for most hand soldering applications.

I don't use unleaded solder, so I don't have a clue where to set my soldering iron. Here's why:

...with lead-free solder (Sn-0.7Cu), the soldering iron must be set to around 380C, which is close to the maximum temperature for soldering. Such a high temperature also causes shorter tip life (due to oxidation or erosion), carbonization of the flux in the solder, and splashing of the flux and solder. (It is said that using lead-free solder decreases the tip life by 4 to 5 times compared with eutectic solder.)

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Start here:

Type the words "lead landfill" into the search box and you'll get more reports and statistics than I want to dig through this morning. I couldn't find any historical data with a quick skim. If you find something that substantiates your face or something interesting, please post the URL.

Some random samples:

Ground-Water Contamination from Lead Shot at Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge, Sussex County, Delaware

Investigators have estimated that up to 58,000 shotgun pellets per square foot are present in locations on the refuge where the lead shot fell to the ground.

This is rather amusing: Factors Controlling Elevated Lead Concentrations in Water Samples from Aquifer Systems in Florida

One potential source of Pb contamination in ground-water samples is the use of metallic Pb as a float counterweight in a water-level recording device. Oops.

Also:

which has quite a bit of historical data.

I checked the water quality various reports from our local water district. Pb shows as not detectable. Regulatory maximum is 15ppb. Public health goal is 0.2ppb.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

On a sunny day (Mon, 20 Aug 2012 08:17:12 -0700) it happened Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

WTF is EMPF?, its bullshit, its a plot by the soldering tip makers!!!

270°C I have been using for years now, my tips last longer and the joints are OK. Only time I use 370 is when I have to burn isolation of transformer wire. 260°C is the maximum for reflow for some components.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I don't own one, but know two people who do. Metcals are troublesome, but that is the price you pay. It is more complicated than a simple thermally regulated resistive heating element iron.

Both guys buy junkers on the surplus market for parts and repair their own Metcals.

Reply to
miso

Yet another government contractor.

OK.

You might want to invest in one of these:

Your tip temperatures seem to be on the low side. I used something similar (forgot the maker and model) on a project. One of the numerous time burning diversions was the inability of some assemblers to solder RF power xsistors on one of my designs. Somehow, that became my problem. Although tip temperature was determined NOT to be the problem, I did find about 50C variations in tip temperatures among the assortment of production line and rework soldering irons. I also found a few odd rolls for the wrong solder types in use by rework. Manufacturing was suitably alarmed and began testing and replacing irons, tips, and solder.

More:

... this is normally 600-800°F (315-426°C) for work on printed circuit boards.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

The lead shot/fishing weight thing is mainly connected with birds swallowing them, mistaking them for pebbles (which are used in their digestion). Grinding lead shot together in an acid environment for a few years will definitely lead to health problems for the bird.

Heavy metals in soil don't go anywhere much--the soil minerals work like a giant ion exchange column.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

$17 including free shipping? Hmmm...

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I just ordered one. We shall see in about 2 weeks. My guess(tm) is that it's a counterfeit as the real meter lists for $220.

I don't see any differences in the photos. Note that there are two models -01 for C and -02 for F. You'll also need a collection of replacement CA wire sensors.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Counterfeit? From Shenzhen? Surely you jest.. ;-)

It even says "Made in Japan" on the back, but with a Chinese battery.

I see that the Chinese one comes with 10 pretty rough looking ones.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

That should be a type K thermocouple.

If I had thought about it, I would have used a type K thermocouple and a DVM (with a thermocouple sensor input).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

K = Chromel-Alumel = CA

Of course, but the other thing is a bit more idiot-proof as far as getting thermal contact with the (looks like) spring-loaded thermocouple.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Mon, 20 Aug 2012 09:54:10 -0700) it happened Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

OK.

What time of thw universe are we in now? I have an electronic controlled soldering iron that uses a thermocouple directly touching the tip. I have tested tip temperature against my own thermocouples and it is within 1 degree C.

In the long ago dinosaur times I always used Weller, and 370 C tips. They never lasted long.

Very old picture, the short ones are the Weller tips The longer ones is what I use now for something like this:
continuously variable, plus 3 presets, plus auto switch of.

Was soldering SMD stuff with it today, not a problem. Best soldering iron I ever had.

The weller magnestat went right into the garbage, electrical noisy POS with a microswitch that corroded away, way overpriced stuff, weller, bad mechanical construction. And only on idiot would use RF heating on an iron for electronic components.

:-) hehe ;_)

I once designed a 500 W RF linear, and you could heat an iron screwdriver in the tank coil, but it killed a box of RF transistors (then very expensive and hard to come by) next to it. I never understood how it could kill transistors in a metal box, but it did.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

At least you know where to get the sensors from.

Reply to
hamilton