lead free solder...

ents before using them? I used to do it to thousands of salvaged 256Kb DRA M back in the IBM AT clone days, when they were scarce. I was getting board s from Unisys for certified destruction that had 144 on each board. I would float the boards on the molten solder and run a ling, thin screwdriver und er the IC to loft them off the board. There was slag on the pins, so I woul d skin the top of the pot as I used small needle nose pliers to dip the lea ds into the solder, then tap the pliers against the solder pot to remove th e excess. They looked better than new parts, since the wave solder process was done with 80/20. We sold the ICs for $2.75 to computer stores at a time there was almost no supply. I never had one brough back as defective.

rounded, so with a wrist strap there was no problem with ESD.

ap and let cool. I have two Esico 650W for large work, the 70T which is rou nd, and the 75T which is square. I use a smaller (Model 36, 250W ) for lead s and loose parts.

drops and dross around the solder pot. It went into a large can, until it was full. Then I would use a really large pair of channel locks to dump the liquid solder out of the pot, into an aluminum pan. I would use a wire bru sh to clean the layer of crud from inside the pot. It builds up from old fl ux, and other crud. Once clean, I would fill it wit the droppings and dross , and melt it back down until it was a little more than full, again. Surfac e tension allowed about 1/16" of solder above the edges of the pot. I ended up with over 25 pounds of clean, solid disks of solder that was used to ti n wires. It was fun, being creative by truly recycling old electronics. :)

About $1200 an hour, for my boss. :)

There are now cheap, and small Chinese solder pots on the market.

is under $20. Just make sure you orde r the 110V model. :)

My first need was back in the days of Weller 8200 soldering guns, to pre ti n new copper tips. That was over 50 years ago. :)

After that, I made tips for my Weller SP23 soldering irons from scrap weldi ng rods. cut then, thread them, and tin them. I mad my last batch 45 years ago, and I still have one or two new tips left left. I got the scraps from the welding shop at Ft. Greely, and borrowed a die and wrench. I could buy new irons in Fairbanks, but no chisel tips.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Surprise! AlwaysWrong is, well, wrong again! The US has no RoHS requirement. A few states (mostly the lefty ones, of course) do but there is no federal requirement.

Reply to
krw

ed.

ny

ll for $15. I bought several flash drives recently that are supposed to be 128 or 256 GB for approx $10 and $20 respectively. Not one of them were r eal and not a 32 GB drive altered to report a larger size. I think I paid around $30 for a real 256 GB flash drive at Costco.

Aliexpress only got a $2 refund so I disputed it on the credit card where I will get a full refund. So I'll have made $2. lol

Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about. You said it is a pretty absurd idea that anyone would counterfeit an item for $15 on eBay and I gav e you specific examples of someone counterfeiting flash drives for less tha n $15 and you start talking about Dr No sort of fantasy stuff.

Have you been smoking too much of your own solder lately?

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

end

I thought

tatus is

ey

?s

The alloy is not tin and the whiskers are pure tin, no? So there may be a free energy advantage in the tin coming out of solution. Normally solution s are lower in energy, but not always.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

What is that means of preventing tin whiskers? I've not heard of it. Is it something added to the alloy?

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Exempt from what? If you are saying it doesn't need to be RoHS, that's not correct I believe. If you are saying it can be RoHS, that might be true.

--

  Rick C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

I've learned to ignore this guy for the most part, but sometimes what he sa ys is so egregious it's hard to ignore. RoHS is adopted in the EU. I don' t know of anywhere else in the world it has been adopted. There is no mand ate for US manufacturers to adhere to RoHS standards. The people I make my board for have asked that it be RoHS so it could be sold in the EU, but th e rest of the equipment it is part of is not RoHS, so they don't sell it in the EU. They still make lots of money from it and I do too.

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Gee, maybe you're right. Some outfit in the Far East selling brand new fake flash drives is totally equivalent to a junk store in Bloomington selling Kester 44 in battered cardboard packaging--devilish clever, pre-aging the packaging and pre-oxidizing the outer layer of solder like that.

Or not.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

From RoHS compliance.

Yep. That is what RoHS Exempt means.

Military hardware is not commercial hardware and therefore you will not be seeing it on the consumer market. The US has an exemption which allows them to continue to utilize 63/37 Sn-Pb in their designs and reworks and repairs. Many areas have migrated where COTS elements get utilzed as they typically are commercial class products and therefore are also RoHS compliant. But for the most part we had to send our BGAs out to be reballed in SnPb balls because all the COTS supply chain houses run tin balls now.

You likely have another bent perspective on the whole thing... again. Read what I wrote. It is typical for a mil contractor.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

As i vaguely remember it, that was the case - mainly to accommodate die mounting.

Reply to
Robert Baer