Laugh of the Day 3Dec2007

Regarding this picture:

  1. Would the proximity to the ground short out the mains current?
  2. What size of fuse is recommended to be placed in series with this... um... circuit?
  3. Would it be safe for a... graduate student... to hold the insulated wire while performing the smoke test?

Enjoy...

mrdarrett

No, the proximity to ground just means it's safe.

No, because fuses contain less magic smoke and therefore are easier to burn out than the device under test.

Yes, and an undergrad the uninsulated wire. :^)

Tim

Tim Williams

Actually not true. Semiconductors always make better fuses than fuses. (obvious example: "protection" fuses for the output transistors in hi fi amplifiers.)

Reply to
Benj

Ouch. ;-)

mrdarrett

No.

  1. What size of fuse is recommended to be placed in series with this...

It depends on how big of a flash you want, and whether you want it at the end or at the fuseholder.

More or less - but make sure that the professor (or TA, or whoever's supervising the demo) is holding the bare part when he/she plugs it in. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich The Newsgroup Wacko

Wrong!

I have blown many, many fuses (and have about 700g of silver to prove it) on large Thyristor and IGBT converters - just make a mistake with the synchronisation voltages and .... instant richess ;-) ... while I have maybe

2 ash-trays made from dead 120 mm device housings!!

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Interesting! We have two opposite cases for magic smoke combustion preference! Perhaps the instance of explosion does not correspond to magic smoke content at all?

Tim

on

maybe

Reply to