Laser Mouses might be used to predict/detect earthquakes (and ground movement).

Hello,

I have noticed many times by now that my laser mouse (logitech G3) is very sensitive.

When the ground moves/shakes sometimes the mouse will interrupt the screen saver.

Today I also run one of my star trek online bots, and sikuli detected mouse movements which where recorded in a log file.

It was very consistent and I don't think it was me. This constantion/observation that it was in the log gave me an idea which I have been wondering about for a while.

The question is: Why is my mouse moving ? Maybe it's the wire putting some strain on it ? Wire pushing it back ? Maybe vibrations from PC case ?

But most likely it is probably my neighbours walking around, slamming doors or whatever.

This mouse is quite old about at least 7 years.

There are probably new mouses out there with a mouse higher Dots Per Inch detection.

The higher the DPI the better the mouse is probably at detecting earth quakes.

So now you know that there might be a very cheap earth quake detector out there...

And it might already be sitting on your desk ! ;) :)

Perhaps writing a P2P applications or client server applications that collects all mouse data from computers while people are sleeping might give some more insight into this.

Perhaps all these mouses in people's houses and officer buildings might be used to develop one gigant laser grid detecting the smallest movement of earth itself !

It might even show how the earth is moving ?! ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Skybuck Flying schreef op 10-12-2014 :

The most common cause of oversensitive mice are wasps. Sometimes they crawl into a mouse and try to have sex with the laser light, causing the laser to become pregnant with little wasps, who are, as you know, very nervous and sensitive.

After your mouse has given birth to the wasps everything should return to normal.

Reply to
Meneer Orac

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 17:13:25 +0100, "Skybuck Flying" Gave us:

Because you forgot to put on your tin foil hat today.

I used to think you were a child, then I thought, no, this idiot has to be of an adult age.

Now, I think you are a child again. My previous lapse was me forgetting all the other stupid shit you have spouted here.

The totality of your grasp of the things of this world would fit onto the tip of a molecular probe.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Mice use LEDs, not lasers.

But yes, thousands of people could use optical mice to track earthquake waves. That would be sort of cool.

Each mouse would need to be held a tiny distance above or below a surface, on some sort of suspension, to allow frictionless pendulum movement.

Maybe mouse upside down, with a pot hung just above it on strings. My mouse works OK with a very small air gap above my desk surface.

It might be more sensible to design a cheap USB seismograph of some sort. It's probably been done: google USB seismograph

 Click to see the full signature

Den onsdag den 10. december 2014 18.20.26 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

it should, afaik an optical mouse is just a low resolution camera and the movement detected from how what ever the camera see moves

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Actually that's not true (

):

"The laser mouse uses an infrared laser diode instead of an LED to illuminate the surface beneath their sensor. As early as 1998, Sun Microsystems provided a laser mouse with their Sun SPARCstation servers and workstations.[11] However, laser mice did not enter the mainstream market until 2004, when Paul Machin at Logitech, in partnership with Avago Technologies (formerly part of Agilent Technologies), introduced its MX 1000 laser mouse.[12]"

--
Sloopkogel
(the usenet entity formerly known as Ifrit)

All of my mice use a red LED. No speckle pattern.

 Click to see the full signature

Amazon sells MX1000's for $269 each. Free shipping!

 Click to see the full signature

USGS has some small seismographs that connect via Wi-Fi. They get installed in people's houses, public buildings, etc, and upload to the USGS using an existing wi-fi connection.

From a couple of minutes of reading, it looks like they have a wall-wart and an internal battery as backup. They say it takes 3 W of power.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Mr. Orca je zult het niet geloven... maar volgens mij zat er zelfs een hele kleine wesp onder in mijn witte slaapkamer prullebak ?!

Hoe dat beest daar in godsnaam in gekomen is, is een mysterie... (heb net de prullebak inhoud vervangen enzo).

Er zat zelfs witte doorzichtige plastic over die witte prullebak.

Of het was een spin... maar volgens mij was het een baby-wespje ?!

Kan 't nog gekker ?!

Goeie vraag voor dat honden programma (man bijt hond ja nou weet ik 't weer):

"Wat is de gekste plek waar jij ooit een wespje hebt gevonden ?!"

Nou ik zelf je dit zeggen orac...

Als een astronaut eerst daags zegt dat ie er eentje heeft gevonden op de maan ! Dan geloof ik em ! ;) =D

Doei, Skybuck =D

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 09:20:22 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

More like...

But a siezmo would be a fixed set of MEMS devices and likely a laser platform that has an optical path that extends the length of a room.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 10:26:40 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

You'd be surprised how thin the emittance can be now.

Such patterns are because the lasers that emit them flood the beam they produce, even the diodes do, and you will see off axis strays. But a diode can also be specifically made to spit damned near a single stream, such that you would not see much if any diffused scatter. Maybe a variant of the quantum dot diode.

And an LED can really be thought of as "an omni directional emitter" that never had its emitting elements all fire down a single pipe.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It is actually very hard to beat light reflected off a mirror galvanometer type movement detector for this sort of thing.

Amazingly they have positive reviews too.

I can't see the advantage of making a laser based device with an exposed beam that the user can potentially damage their eyesight with.

Any of the recent optical designs were better than the annoying rubber ball based ones that invariably filled themselves with fluff and dead insects. Try signing your name with a mouse to test its performance!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

ght be

t of

I'm sure I've seen some that turn off the light as soon as they are not on a surface

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

With enough sensors, one could map seismic waves in a nice 3D display. That would look cool, like ripples in a pool.

 Click to see the full signature

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 12:54:39 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

The movie "Battleship".

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

In some places, there are networks of fixed GPS receivers that update their positions at >1 Hz. These can be used after an earthquake to make maps like this (from Japan in March 2011):

They're working on using this data for prediction:

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

I just got three Logitech M310 laser mice on Ebay for $6 each. They are labeled 'Class I Laser Product' in the battery compartment.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Then you're using ancient, outdated technology! My mouse uses invisible infrared light!

--
Sloopkogel
(the usenet entity formerly known as Ifrit)
Reply to
Sloopkogel

Visible infrared light doesn't exist.

Reply to