Kludge-mounting a 7 segment LED display

I have a piece of audio gear (drum machine) I'm modding for a client; it didn't originally have an LED display but it will, soon. What's the least aesthetically offensive but reasonably durable way to mount a ~1.5 inch by 1 inch through-hole 2-digit 7 segment display with daughterboard PCB to the front panel of a desktop enclosure, and route the segment lines to the device's internal control electronics?

Drilling a small hole or two in the front panel or sides for routing purposes is OK, but say cutting open the enclosure with a nibbling tool to make an opening wide enough such that the display can be mounted from underneath is not.

Reply to
bitrex

I'm confused, you're mounting it to the outside of the box? If so, then put it in a little 'box', maybe.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

A photo of the display would help. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

You've not said how large the desktop machine is, nor form factor. (nor whether it is a "desktop PC" or just some "desktop enclosure")

In the former case, consider removing the (or *an*) exposed optical/floppy/disk drive and cobbling a plastic "filler plate" to install in the now empty bay. This can be made to look professional as well as improving serviceability.

Assuming it is NOT a "desktop PC" (masquerading as a drum machine), why not just enclose the display in a suitable enclosure and velcro that to a reasonably blank portion of the front panel (i.e., NOT over something that needs to be accessed in normal operation).

The little, flat "jewel cases" in which you sometimes receive IC samples (usually only 1/2 inch "thick" with a hinged "top lid" that "snaps" to the "bottom lid" when its closed) are easy to carve and have the right sort of aspect ratio (tall and wide -- but shallow) for a PCB.

Reply to
Don Y

Add some PCB art?

Fab a small PCB in an aesthetically-pleasing color, use traces and silkscreen to incorporate a design (i.e. band logo) around the LEDs.

Randy Day

You could just 3D print up a wee box to hold the display. It will be ugly though, because the box will have to be around 11mm tall, more like 13-14mm if you want to put a filter in front of the display.

There are thinner displays on the market such as OLED graphic displays.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Nice, 3D printing a little enclosure hadn't occurred to me. I know a guy...

Reply to
bitrex

Just printing up a replacement part for a weed whacker made in 1986.

30 minutes to design the part and 3 hours to print. Hopefully it won't need tweaking.

--sp

Not too bad. Took one iteration (didn't have an original to duplicate).

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

or used stacked acrylic like this:

mask off and paint on the inside to make a window

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Maybe this box?

Double stick tape to case.

Reply to
Wanderer

Yeah, I think that's the most expedient solution. The price is right!

Reply to
bitrex