Kind of simple question matching impedances/resistances on twin-lead

I cut in half a twin-lead antenna wire, typical 300 ohm wire.

I inserted a Balun transformer on the first cut end to make it 75 ohms and connect it to an old TV.

So far, so good.

Then I got to thinking and that was bad. How can I reconnect that twin-lead that I cut in half, in case I wanted to use the other, unused end? And still keep that Balun transformer on that end?

Hmmm, can I use the already terminated 75 ohm Balun transformer and connect it back up to the second half of the twin-lead antenna wire?

Can I untransform or re-transform the 75 ohm Balun transformer to a 300 ohm thingee? If the first balun is 4:1, can I get a 1:4? Without too much dB loss.

I found some RCA VH104 Signal Separator/Combiners in a dollar store.

If I connect the balun transformer to the VHF OUT/IN to the UHF OUT/IN - will this so the trick?

In other words, I am using just the inputs to really do the transformations, not exactly what the device is set up for.

I am wondering if I can get a schematic of this part somewhere to see what it is doing internally.

Supposedly it, RCA CH104, takes a twinlead 75 antenna and a 300 ohm coaxial cable and combines them to output into a coax with the single wire, what I might call a male connector but it's call an F type.

And I assume it can do the opposite, take an input of the coax and separate it into 75 twin-lead UHF and 300 lhm VHF outputs.

Thanks.

Come to think of it, would it be better just to connect the twin-lead directly to the TV which as inputs for this for it's inside antenna? It has screws for the two rabbit ears and another set of screws for a loop antenna.

Reply to
Treeline

ohms and connect it to an old TV.

twin-lead that I cut in half, in

transformer on that end?

This has to be a troll.

------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Why is this a troll? In any case, I did a quick test and I would reckon doubling up the transformers results in a very marginal loss. I noticed one spec of 0.5 dB loss on parts like this, and that sounds reasonable without measuring.

I'll bet if Newton came to you about an apple falling on his head, you would say, heh, you'll a troll.

Asking questions which may be obvious to others is not trolling unless I already know the answers. Here I do not. I could find out the answers if I got my equipment out of storage but it's snowing again and quite cold in that unheated place. And I really don't mess much with antennas and TVs, hence asking here since TV appears to be ubiquitous for most.

Reply to
Treeline

I go into those places just to marvel at all the crap they can sell for such a low price. There are even companies that specialize in making *electronics* (of a sort) that can be sold in dollar stores. Not that you'd want to own any of it yourself, but it mostly even functions.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

If you recall, the part I purchased, an RCA VH104, just happens to be the very same part sold in all the stores around here. This is not a typical dollar store part since it's actually a name brand.

Reply to
Treeline

That's true. I do tend to ramble while exploring what is for me, something I do not know about. If I had been working on this problem for a while, then I can use parsimony which is the goal of science or fewer words.

Thanks, this I discovered. And in my "ramble" I was actually extremely accurate when I reckoned a -0.50 dB loss if they are reversed. One web site, dealing with antennas, reckoned around -0.46 dB loss.

Reply to
Treeline

You're the one that made an ad hominem argument and your explanation above is neither relevant nor accurate. Figures.

You did not read carefully what I was asking. I am using a splitter but I am not splitting the signal. That may be difficult for your brain to grasp because you obviously think only inside the box. And you used the word, "asinine" - pot, kettle, black.

In any event, the dollar store sold an RCA part, VH104, that was the same part, exact same part, sold in other stores in my area. The same dollar store also had parts when the ubiquitous Radio Shack did not have them in stock.

Reply to
Treeline

That's funny. Of all the replies I have had, yours was the only one that was not only ad hominem and crude, but your other technical reply was just plain wrong.

So tell me, what is your socio-economic development? Do you have any at all?

Reply to
Treeline

Treeline wrote: > I cut in half a twin-lead antenna wire, typical 300 ohm wire. >

The "separator/combiner" does its thing by frequency band, it separates out the combined UHF/VHF into separate UHF and VHF channels for older receivers with two antenna inputs- usually with 300 ohm twin lead for VHF and 75 ohm coax for UHF, or it can be used to combine the 300 ohm twin lead from a VHF antenna with a 75 ohm coax input from a UHF antenna to produce a combined VHF/UHF 75 ohm feed to a modern receiver with a single antenna input. Your application is different, you're not going to get combined VHF/UHF back onto that 300 ohm remnant without a splitter. I am not sure there is a more asinine approach, you lose a lot of signal no matter what you do trying to re-use the twin lead without a preamplifier at the antenna to overcome substantial balun and splitter loss.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

You missed the part about frequenting a "dollar store"- this indicates a certain level of socio-economic development that is fairly basic.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

If you say that part is a "signal separator/combiner" with ports labeled UHF IN/OUT and VHF IN/OUT, then YOU ARE A LIAR! It will be a cold day in hell before the likes of LOW TRASH like *you* tells me *anything*.

O shut the F_ up and GFOAD... low life p.o.s. trying to appear clever...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

You're a typical little sneak and ignorant low life- you are a liar and incompetent. Here's hoping you fall off that roof and break your neck. In the future, keep your lying trash off this NG, it has nothing to do with electronics and you are uneducable. GFOAD

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Really? Then how in hell do you get to two loads without a split, you f___g moron. So some days you watch TV on the twin lead and others you watch the other TV on the coax- hmmm- so ingenious!- aren't you exceptional. Like I said- in the future keep your lying trash of this NG. And you don't fool anyway- we know you are a regular pest posting under a multitude of names to get out of most killfiles.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

All that RCA antenna accessory stuff like the VH104 is manufactured in China- that would make it cheap. It turns out this VH104 is a "push-on" band combiner, it is for interior use, it pushes on to the single F-jack for the TV RF input. This push-on has two inputs, an F-jack for VHF and screw terminals for a twin lead UHF. This "treeline" moron pushes his antenna fed 300:75 push-on onto the VHF VH104 jack and connects a

300-ohm twin lead to the UHF terminals and possibly onto a second receiver. Then the idiot has the goddammed nerve to make statements like:

"That's funny. Of all the replies I have had, yours was the only one that was not only ad hominem and crude, but your other technical reply was just plain wrong."

"You're the one that made an ad hominem argument and your explanation above is neither relevant nor accurate. Figures."

"You did not read carefully what I was asking. I am using a splitter but I am not splitting the signal. That may be difficult for your brain to grasp because you obviously think only inside the box. And you used the word, "asinine" - pot, kettle, black."

And to think the goddammed moron is making these connections because wires go on screws and plugs go on jacks- oblivious to little things like VHF and UHF terminal labels. Like I said, you have your certain clientele for dollar stores, and this ignorant and opinionated p.o.s. "treeline" sounds most typical.

OP:

"I found some RCA VH104 Signal Separator/Combiners in a dollar store.

If I connect the balun transformer to the VHF OUT/IN [and second half of the twin-lead antenna wire] to the UHF OUT/IN - will this so the trick?"

-JUST UN-F___KING BELIEVABLE....

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Balun

My assumption was that the 300-ohm twin-lead antenna wire lead to an antenna. If you cut it in half to produce an ostensibly useful unused end, you would appear to be splitting it into two separate wires, both leading to the antenna.

300 ohm antenna wire is intended to hook up to a loop antenna, which happens to have an output impedance of 300 ohm. It sounds as if you think that 300 ohm antenna wire is intended to be an antenna, which it can be if the local signal is hgh enough .....
0.5 dB loss on parts like this,

you would say, heh, you'll a

No, I'd ask him why he was fussing about gravity after having invented a time machine ...

unless I already know the answers.

of storage but it's snowing

much with antennas and TVs,

You need to ask the question in a way that suggests that you might understand the answer.

--------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Somehow you don't strike me as an Ivy League grad. Have you tried Alcoholic Anonymous?

Reply to
Treeline

It's fairly obvious that you are not able to assimilate learning. Funny, you called me "uneducable" and insinuated I was of low SES. And here you are acting like a Jerry Springer trailer trash. Tsk. Tsk. Are you bipolar and currently in your manic phase?

I was simply pointing out the obvious. Now simmer down or I'll have to point out that you cannot think in the box or out of the box.

Reply to
Treeline

So vulgar and you called me low SES. Do you have any education at all?

Reply to
Treeline

The ultimate question you ask was, is it better to not screw about and just connect directly to the TV. And you wonder why you're considered a troll?? Maybe you are just experimenting (good on yer) but your post was a bit of a ramble.

And for the other questions, yes, you can use the transformers in 'reverse', and yes, they can be cascaded.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Anonymous?

Keep shooting your mouth off- wise ass little pretentious cheater and liar that you are- dollar store trash.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs