journalism schools don't teach math

In Santa Monica, every resident may well pay $100 a month, especially in summer.

I know that a factor of 40 is far from a factor of one. Another octave one way or the other doesn't matter: the point was the the writer's claim is absurd by simple inspection.

I don't think that many Americans worry much about British numerical nomenclature.

Uh, what sort of school did you go to?

John

My bill just came: $782.79, down from $810.39 last month ;-)

So Martin lives in a walk-up slum ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

3x underestimate.

The employer pays $100 and the city pays another $100.

You probaby stay in air-cond office paid for by your employer.

For example, a small g&e utility in San Diego with 3.4m customers

and revenue of 1.4b
come out with $400 each (perhaps $100 for gas). So, around $300 per person.

For Santa Monica,, 88000x300=3D26.4m Do I still et my $26.2m monthly check?

Reply to
linnix

My bill was $96.44 this month.

Michael A. Terrell

?pgno=1

But who is subsidizing Santa Monica?

Reply to
krw

That's where my eyes immediately went.

A billing fee (minimum bill) of $2.27 is unheard of.

Will the entire article be retracted? I doubt it.

Reply to
krw

Mine has been $200 (give or take $10) for the past two months (I guess that includes garbage pickup). My water bill was down from $200 to $150, so at least that's going the right way. ;-)

Can't afford an elevator on that.

Reply to
krw

Huh?

Perhaps, but the AC at home is running 24x7 from mid-May through mid-September, whether I'm at home or not.

Reply to
krw

For 3650 sq. ft. and ambients 20°F higher?

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

That's good. It's a slightly better way of making the comparison than what John proposed, as no hypothetical is injected into the equation. It gives you a raw value that either makes sense, or doesn't. John's is just a little more 'rube goldberg.'

Yes, but should some power utility decide to make an exception in my case, I won't argue too hard. :) And I'll be willing to proclaim it to the world.

Now to just wait for that utility to decide to cut me some of that slack...

It would be sufficient to get the numbers right, I suppose.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Here in SF, I don't know anybody who has residential a/c. It's 59F at this instant.

John

ica

.

Just an oversimplified estimate of office usages (A/C, lights and equipments) and public usages (street lights and public buildings). They are parts of the total city usages as well.

ck.

Then you are not paying $33 per month like Mr. Brown.

Reply to
linnix

I just got home and it's COLD in here. Maybe I'll crank up the heat a notch.

John

Tomorrow and Friday look bad here. 86F and 90F with heat indexes over

100. ...and so far this year has been somewhat cooler than last (though I was here just a couple of months last summer).
Reply to
krw

Oh, I missed the "*AND* the employer pays..."

Nope. $200/mo. summer, $300 winter. $100 spring/fall. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Not at all. Domestic aircon is unnecessary in the UK. My house has such thick walls that its thermal inertia is massive. On the very rare occasions (yesterday was one) where the outside temperature reaches the dizzy heights of 30C the core building temperature never gets above 25C. opening windows at night is enough to control the temperature nicely in summer. And it is heavily insulated for winter too.

Plays havoc with Wifi though. I have internal deadspots on the coverage. One of the internal walls is over 3' thick brick and stone!

Central heating is run on either solid fuel or oil.

Sorry I don't follow that. The second one is flashy corporate blandware with no content and the other gives a number for average 500kW/month energy usage 6MW/year of $120 per property (or about $40 per person per month). Depending on occupancy rates.

Nope ;-)

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Again, you are not counting commerical and public usages in a city.

Sorry, I had it reverse. the second link says SDG&E (their subsidiary) serves 3.4 millions consumers. SDG&E=AE lit its first lamp on San Diego streets in 1881. Today the full- service utility provides electricity and natural gas to 3.4 million consumers across 4,000 square miles from Orange County to the Mexican border.

The first link says that SDG&E got 1.3b (more than 14b this year). San Diego Gas & Electric would reap $1.349 billion in revenue this year under a proposed settlement between the utility and an independent consumer group within the state utilities commission.

1.4b/3.4m is around $400 each (perhaps $100 for gas). So, around $300 electricity cost per person.
Reply to
linnix

Which, in earthquake country, you might find yourself sleeping under.

We're mostly natural gas or propane in the US. Some parts still use fuel oil, which is fading away. Rural folks often burn wood.

The thing some other folks don't appreciate is that the US and Canada have enormous amounts of wood.

In parts of the US, life would be miserable without air conditioning.

John

About half that space, and it hits the wall at 18°F. It has been above 95 degrees most days. I haven't used the central air in years. Right now I am using one overworked window A/C because it lowers the humidity better than the central air. It cools the house down at night, and is comfortable all day.

I have two full sized refrigerators, and my water comes from a well so some of the electrical load is water.

I do get a fair amount of wind, and get some shade from trees. The biggest help is the insulated roof over that adds a second layer of insulation. Most lighting is fluorescent, and the rest is on motion sensors so I don't have to fumble for switches when I'm ill. I plan on adding more motion sensors so I can enter any room with enough light to be safe. I have several outdoors, as well.

If my electric bill was $782.79 I would only have about $200 a month for everything else.

Michael A. Terrell

=20

=20

Hey everyone it is units check time again.

Reply to
JosephKK