IR Temperature probe with same spot size regardless of distance

CR fixed - thanks eric schmidt :)

Yes, everything glowing but the aluminum foil, which has a low e.

Now, take a look at the 80t. It has a very long snout in relation to its dia., AFAICS. The first question Ihave is what is this snout made of, low or high e? The second question I have is, if this snout defines the geometrical optics here, why is Klaus seeing so much beam spread?

My solution is to neck down that snout a bit, pretty far from the sensor, which is already confined in a long tube. So I feel that an annular ring of foil would not change the optics as much as the snout already does.

And that brings up a question here, "How does Klaus know he has that much beam

Pertinent questions to ask before saddling up...:)

jb

Reply to
haiticare2011

So it's a mirror, and what you measure is the temperature of whatever objects that it reflects.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Yes, and we're playing with the geometrical optics via that snout on the 80t. Is the sensor at it's end or back at its origin? (my guess the latter) There simply is no way to avoid the IR surround completely, as you have pointed out.

If you think the reflection from the Al foil a problem, then you can try a piece of paper.

I have to admit my approach is experimental, with "lazy" strategy. It's easy to try the purely geometrical approach, much harder to deal with lenses.

And the ruling principle here is: What the devil is that snout doing on the 80t? My Ryobi IR gun has none of that, and works like a champ at long distances. Did some mis-guided engineer at Fluke mess up the design?

Put another way, the snout s either high e or metal. High e is my guess. If so, Klaus may be imagining the beam spread, because the snout will restrict geometrically what the sensor "sees." OTOH, if the engineer put metal in the snout, in an attempt to channel the IR, then it would have hi beam spread due to the metal acceptance gathering incident rays.

If Klaus is really serious about this project, he may have to throw away the Fluke optics, take the sensor, and build himself a proper IR optical system. But before doing that, I would try geometrical approaches, if at all possible.

This sensor just isn't behaving like it should, even with no optics.

jb

Reply to
haiticare2011

it over

ay have

dia., AFAICS. The first question Ihave is what is this snout made of, low o r high e? The second question I have is, if this snout defines the geometri cal optics here, why is Klaus seeing so much beam spread?

which is already confined in a long tube. So I feel that an annular ring o f foil would not change the optics as much as the snout already does.

beam spread?" And what is that snout made of?

That is defined in the datasheet. Page 6:

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Hi Klaus, Thanks. How does your desired spot size compare with the specs? I know this is the chicken way out, but can you steer around tall objects? Is the snout just solid plastic? JB

Reply to
haiticare2011

Yes, that's what Lasse wrote earlier ;-)

I think so. I haven't bought the probe yet, wanted to check out the possibilities first

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund