Induction Motor Design

I read in sci.electronics.design that Glen Walpert wrote (in ) about 'Induction Motor Design', on Wed, 5 Oct 2005:

Well, not ANY question. The troll-detector does tend to respond to people who post the equivalent of, 'I don't know anything about doctoring, so please tell me which web sites show me how to be a brain surgeon.'

Usually less well spelled and less gramatiqual.

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that "Rich, Under the Affluence" wrote (in ) about 'Induction Motor Design', on Tue, 4 Oct 2005:

'Caravan' is British English for 'trailer'.

I've been close to some 60 MW motors at a water pumping station (3300 A at 11 kV 3-phase), quite big but I don't suppose they are the biggest.

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that "Rich, Under the Affluence" wrote (in ) about 'Induction Motor Design', on Tue, 4 Oct 2005:

So he wasn't a PHB. They NEVER admit they are wrong.

John Woodgate

"Drinking" water?

Ahem, was that necessary?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Here's a postcard of a 1927 Engineering Wonder-- a 205 ton 150,000 HP motor (111 MW) made by Metropolitan Vickers.

I suppose you could always run one of the generators at the James Bay generating station backwards to pump water. They're about 250MW each, or about double the capacity of the ones at Hoover dam.

Big motors- used for steel mills, pumping stations, compressor stations, ship propulsion, wind tunnels, and... ?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I've worked at two wind tunnel facilities at NASA-Langley that had

100MW+ motors, and used them constantly. These are by no means the largest wind tunnels around.

John Perry

Reply to
John Perry

Here's an interesting article:

WEG has designed and manufactured the world's largest cast iron frame motors for use in the Collahuasi mine in northern Chile. The eight 630 frame motors will be operating in arduous conditions at 4,700 metres above sea level in the Andes, driving conveyor belts to remove minerals 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Weighing in at 15,000kgs each, the HGF630 motors are 2300V (50Hz) units, rated at 2079kW and designed to achieve a performance efficiency of 97.5%.

They are from WEG's "H" Line medium voltage range, which has recently been introduced into the UK.

The "H" Line motors are compact and extremely robust machines with cast-iron frames, corrosion resistant finishing and galvanized mounting components.

As a result, they are ideally suited to operating conditions encountered in the most arduous mineral extraction and industrial applications.

In these applications the combination of an internal cooling circuit, external- cooling fins and high efficiency cooling fans guarantees a favourable temperature gradient within the motor, which both protects and extends the operating life of the motor windings.

WEG's ability to manufacture motors the size of the Collahuasi machines is the result of large scale investment not only in design and manufacturing, but also in facilities such as the Electric Rotating Machine Laboratory, one of the largest and most efficient in the world.

In operation since the beginning of 2003, the new laboratory has been designed to meet all of WEG's testing requirements.

Designed and implemented in mutual cooperation between WEG M quina and WEG Automation, it is fitted with a 5MW dynamometer and a 10MW generator.

Operating in the frequency range from 30 to 60Hz, this equipment can undertake performance tests of 5MW machines at full load and 10MW machines with reduced voltage and output and full load current.

At the conclusion of these tests, automatic data reports are generated instantaneously.

Customers may also witness motor tests over the Internet in real time, or directly in WEG's own laboratory.

The order for the eight Collahuasi motors comes in the immediate wake of another for WEG "H" Line medium voltage and "M" Line high voltage machines, this time for the Sierra Barrosa and El Portn projects in Argentina.

The motors, including three MGF450 frame machines, are being used on a new oil pipeline constructed by Repsol-YBF in the province of Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Of the 10 motors supplied by WEG for this project, 8 were installed on centrifugal pumps in the stations of Indio Rico, Chillar, Cachari and Las Flores, the last two motors being stand-by units.

Depending upon the application requirements, some motors are required to operate at full load and are connected directly to the power supply, while others are VSD driven.

At the present time the last station on the pipeline, Las Flores, is in the process of commencing operations.

Reply to
Ignoramus10070

New Orleans?

Reply to
Rich Grise

Winfield! What do you infer from 'at a water-pumping station'? They sure didn't power the HVAC! (;-)

There were two. Probably one for back-up. You can't leave a whole city without water.

Recently, people couldn't leave a city with a whole excess of water.

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Jeroen Belleman wrote (in ) about 'Induction Motor Design', on Thu, 6 Oct 2005:

I didn't believe it, but when I saw the actual current meter reading

3300 A I asked what the supply voltage was.

I suppose insulation problems prevent a higher voltage supply being used, or did then; this was in the early 1970s.

John Woodgate

Maybe a hydroelectric storage plant?

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Indeed, what was it for? Even the pumps that keep the dutch polders dry are usually in the few 100kW to 1MW range.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Not entirely, no. I did think about it before posting; maybe I should have thought a bit longer.

John Woodgate

No. On the Norfolk Broads, near Norwich, England.

On the occasion I was there, they didn't run for long; about 30 minutes IIRC. I was helping to commission a 405-line CCTV link over 5 miles of telemetry cable with no repeaters. In those days, getting 2.5 MHz that far on that sort of cable was not exactly easy. But we had to improve the CMRR - by removing the precision impedance-matching stage from the receiving-end input. Good match, but 40 dB CMRR didn't keep out the AM radio. The mismatch very slightly sharpened the picture, so Murphy must have had a day off!

John Woodgate

One of the big motor manufacturers has recently introduced a new line of medium voltage motors which roughly doubled the max voltage, from around 20 kV to around 40 kV. They did it by using round wire instead of the usual rectangular wire with those problematic corners where the insulation tends to break down, and while using round wire requires going to a larger frame size for the same power it can still be overall smaller cheaper and more efficient than a lower voltage motor and a transformer. Imagine that, round wire, what will they think up next :-).

Reply to
Glen Walpert

Some fair sized motors are used as rotary capacitors for grid power factor correction; run unloaded with the field overexcited the power factor can approach 90 deg leading. Not much difference between a motor and a generator in synchronous machines besides which direction power goes through them, and I think the largest generators in service are 1200 MW, but newer designs have not gone over 1000 MW because of shaft cracking problems in the 1200 MW generators.

Reply to
Glen Walpert

Interesting. Is there some backup for this? I've also seen numbers saying that if we replaced gasoline watt-for-watt with electricity, we'd have to increase electric generation by 5X.

...and we're told it's peecees that are going to be the end of civilization (Windows, perhaps). ;-)

--
  Keith
Reply to

something like 70% of the worlds electricity gets used in motors....

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given