Indiegogo Funds

is similar to kickstarter.com, but allows non-profits to participate. One thing I'm not clear on is just how much of the funds actually go to the non-profit, or even the for-profits.

Their info on the web site says the "platform" fee (their cut) is 4% or

9% depending on whether you meet your goal or not. There are also third party fees that depend on the credit card used or the PayPal cost. Then there are other fees if payment comes by other means. Non-profits pay 25% less platform fees.

However... on every campaign page, just below the "contribute" button, it says, "This campaign will receive all of the funds contributed by Wed

02 Jan 11:59PM PT." with the corresponding date and time. What does this mean exactly? They get all the funds and then have to give back 7% for all the fees? What???

Does anyone have experience with indiegogo? Anyone know why this is worked this way?

I wrote to them asking about any contribution I make. I don't expect to hear back right away because of the holiday and may never hear from them.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Use this kick starter:

Reply to
miso

Or one of these:

The SEC is still debating provisions of regulating crowd funding, which should eventually nail down comission and fee disclosure requirements:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

The Forbes article was a good read. Here is a jaw dropping statistic:

"On this note, I would like to mention the fact that Americans purchase $45 billion dollars worth of lottery tickets every year, with the average household spending $150 annually."

I simply can't believe people spend money on something less likely to happen than getting hit by lightning.

You would lose less money at a slot machine than the lottery, though both are about as boring.

Reply to
miso

A statement written by those who are just as boring as the numbers and dollarsigns they call their friends.

The average ticket buyer may not be sufficiently introspective to offer a correct opinion, but there are intelligent ticket buyers out there, and they fully acknowledge that 1. buying a ticket for its money is obviously a stupid idea, and 2. they do it for the entertainment value, the chance to participate, and the thought of an unlikely windfall.

In fact, as entertainment goes, $150/yr is pretty damn cheap. More people should buy lotto tickets!

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Was it P. T. Barnum that said "there's a sucker born every minute"? Must be true.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Den 02-01-2013 07:27, miso skrev:

It is actually a rational decision: If those people are middle class or below, those are the best chances they will ever have for "making it" into the top 1% category (be it Wealthy or Hit-by-lightning)

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Not all lottery tickets are for the Power Ball. I spend a fair amount of time in a place that sells lottery tickets and most of what they sell are the instant win scratch off tickets. You have a much higher chance of winning those and that is what hooks people. $5 here, $10 there and they feel like they have gotten something.

As someone else said, they buy them for the entertainment value even if they don't know it.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

According to Psychology Today, people buy lottery tickets because:

- (They want to) Join the party.

- A ticket of hope; a ticket of magical healing. I don't quite agree, but there it is inscribed in genuine ASCII. As evidence, the sale of lottery tickets during the current recession is on the rise.

This has more truth than humor:

I keep waiting for Obama to suggest a federal lottery to save the economy. Methinks that has a better chance of working than the current plans.

Trivia: The French Chappe semaphore communications system of the

1790's was used for military and some commercial purposes. However, the basic funding and most popular purpose was distributing the winning numbers for the national lottery.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I bought them for a while because the state lottery was paying for my daughter's college education. Seemed like a pointless gesture of good faith.

Most likely.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Agreed. This also explains the group ticket buys. I've done it a few times. It's worth the five bucks, or whatever, for the watercooler time.

Sure. $1 or $10 isn't worth as much to them as $100,000,000.00, even if the chances of winning are ten times worse. "Dollar and a dream" says it all.

Free time is, too.

It's been an abysmal failure at fulfilling the promises that the various states have made, getting them passed. Everything else Obama tried has failed. It'll fit right in.

Probably not much different than government use of email today.

Reply to
krw