in-rush current measurement.

How would I go about measuring the in-rush current on a DC feed of 30V. I have built a current limiting circuit which should limit current to 8mA and I need to how that the in-rush current does not exceed 10mA for 100ms.

Currently I use a relay to switch the feed on and off, however this bounces so I am going to replace this with a mercury wetted 0 bounce relay is this the correct thing to do?

Most sites I have seen discussing in-rush current seem to use a current probe but they are measuring Amps if not 100s of amps on motor feeds not a few milli amps are there current probes which can measure the mA range accurately enough for me.

Currenly I am using a shunt resistor in lieu of the current probe and notice that I appear to exceed the in-rush just from powering the current limiter without a load although only for the firt 12uS. Is this likely to be noise from the relay or the response of the transistors limiting the current, I am using a Transistor VBE referenced current source circuit from AOE, is there anything I can do to remove this initial spike or do I need to allow that there will always be this inital rush.

Any good web sites with this sort of info would also be appreciated

Many Thanks for any help

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Maybe, maybe not. The bouncing should not of itself cause problems.

Might adding a smallish inductor to the power line work?

Alternatively, a small resistor, in series with a capacitor may work, if you can connect it to the supply permenantly. The capacitor supplies the load when your supply is connected.

A small capacitor on the base, with a time constant of a few microseconds may also work.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

a good solution for wireless measurement is

mires

I think "mires" is a robot that randomly follows up threads with an ad for these makers of defective equipment.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

--- Your SPAM is not appreciated here, and you can rest assured I will never buy anything you have to offer because of it.

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields